Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A couple of my favorites from Coopers Rock State Forest

Real Name
    Susan

A couple of my favorites from Coopers Rock State Forest

Here are 2 images that I like a lot from our trip to West Virginia... The lighting was what I was trying to capture. What do you think? C&C welcome and appreciated.

Real Name
    Greg

Re: A couple of my favorites from Coopers Rock State Forest

I find scenes like the 2nd one really difficult - if not impossible - to capture. When I'm there the light impresses me, everything is bathed in a beautiful green. But my sensor doesn't see it that way, and images disappoint.

But the 1st image here does work, and the difference I see between the two is the difference in colour between foreground and background, the depth of the perspective, and the dappled light falling on the trees in the foreground. Those little patches of sunlight on the tree trunks help to seperate them from those in the distance.

While both shots use trees to frame a track disappearing into the background, the 1st one produces a much clearer impression of it leading somewhere... perhaps because the light in that part of the scene appears to be a little misty... In any case, what this type of capture is all about is the light, and I think the first one works because of the contrast in light between forground and background, whereas in the 2nd one the light is uniform across the whole scene. JMHO

Real Name
    Bruce

What I like about both these photos is the since of depth in both photos. I especially like #2. Being a former hiker I really appreciate photographs that depict trails going off in the distance. This allows a sense of wonder.

Bruce

Real Name
    Susan

Hi Greg - thanks very much for looking and commenting! I understand what you mean about the second one having more uniform light - it was taken in the middle of the day and I was pleased to be in such dense forest that the harsh sun didn't come crashing through. Glad you enjoy the first one - it was taken in late afternoon so the light was softer and coming in at more of an angle.

Hi Bruce - thanks also for your comments! I'm glad you feel the sense of depth. I also like the sense of mystery in both shots.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by pasusan View Post
    Hi Greg - thanks very much for looking and commenting! I understand what you mean about the second one having more uniform light - it was taken in the middle of the day and I was pleased to be in such dense forest that the harsh sun didn't come crashing through. Glad you enjoy the first one - it was taken in late afternoon so the light was softer and coming in at more of an angle.

Hi Bruce - thanks also for your comments! I'm glad you feel the sense of depth. I also like the sense of mystery in both shots.
    Susan, could not agree with you more.

Bruce