Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Golden Waters

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Golden Waters

    Making some changes in my PP workflow. I've been doing alot of things wrong, and in the wrong order. Comments welcome.

    Golden Waters

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,723
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Golden Waters

    Steve

    As part of my own learning process, I'd like to know what you think you were doing 'wrong' and what changes you've made, if you're willing to share.

    Am looking at this on an uncalibrated Tablet pc at work, so can't comment on the image.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Golden Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Steve

    As part of my own learning process, I'd like to know what you think you were doing 'wrong' and what changes you've made, if you're willing to share.

    Am looking at this on an uncalibrated Tablet pc at work, so can't comment on the image.
    Actually i was doing almost everything wrong.

    Underexposing my images..............editing my images with the camera's presets applied...........Not setting my levels with the raw editor............not sharpening at the end after resizing

    I like the results much better now.

  4. #4
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,067
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Golden Waters

    Looks pretty fine to me Steve,

    I like the DoF effect and the sharp water in front of 'ducky'.

    Cheers,

  5. #5
    ALSto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    18
    Real Name
    Allen

    Re: Golden Waters

    This picture looks out of focus... Is it me? The colours are nice and lighting is good on the subject reflecting from the water.

    Allen...

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,359

    Re: Golden Waters

    I think the tail end is a bit softer than the head, which is a common problem with wildlife images. Sometimes all you can do is get the eye sharp and hope the rest will follow.

    Adding an overall sharpen will probably cause problems with over sharpened ripples; but it may be worth trying a selective Unsharp Mask adjustment on just the duck body.

  7. #7
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,067
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Golden Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Adding an overall sharpen will probably cause problems with over sharpened ripples; but it may be worth trying a selective Unsharp Mask adjustment on just the duck body.
    That's sort of what I was thinking

  8. #8
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,788
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Golden Waters

    I never sharpen at the end of resizing; it looks sharp enough.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Golden Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by ALSto View Post
    This picture looks out of focus... Is it me? The colours are nice and lighting is good on the subject reflecting from the water.

    Allen...
    Actually you are right, the photo 'is' slightly out of focus (problem with the 40D, it happens every so often). I didn't want to over sharpen the image. It probably couldn't hurt to just sharpen the head of the duck a little more. These were images i passed on, but wanted to try my new workflow on. I'm happy with the results so far.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bucharest,Romania
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: Golden Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Making some changes in my PP workflow. I've been doing alot of things wrong, and in the wrong order. Comments welcome.

    Golden Waters
    Hi,
    Now it swimms!

    stevesgoldenwater.jpg

    I hope You accept my apologies
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 21st December 2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: add image inline

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •