Thread: A 24mm ts-e question

Real Name
    Steve

A 24mm ts-e question

Hello,
    i've read the tutorials (which are outstanding).
    i have a specific question about my (newish) lens - the shift is lateral, the tilt is up and down, and it's mentioned that you can use both in conjunction.

how, and what am i looking for? i get confirmation when i'm focused, i can see in live view when i zoom in the focus, but i can't seem to tell what is happening through the view finder if the whole thing is in focus.

thanks in advance

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A 24mm ts-e question

Hello again. It would be great if you felt able to enter your proper name because it's much more friendly and most us use that on here. you can go to Edit Profile (under 'Forum Actions' on the Menu Bar), or you can just press on 'Settings' on the menu bar right up at the top rigth of the window. Once there you can enter the name by which you wish to be addressed under 'Real Name'. Then it will appear underneath your Username in all your posts.

I'm sorry there hasn't been replies posted up to your question, because I'd like to know the answer as well. I'm not sure that there are many folks on here using T & S lenses and those who do have maybe not seen your post. Hopefully this reply might help bump it up the lists and grab their attention.

Real Name
    Allan Short

burnzz, I think some of the problem that you do not have any answers is we do not know what you want. So I will try to get the ball rolling, when using live view, you can not see through the view finder as all the info is visible on the live View LCD, hit info and cycle through. That lens is a manual focus lens it does not auto focus so where do you get this so called "I get confirmation when I'm focused".
    I would suggest in another post if you have questions that you take some time to think out the questions, and reread them a couple of times slowly before you hit :Post Quick Reply" so that others can clearly understand what you want so we can answer them instead of guessing or just plainly skipping to the next threat.

Cheers:

Allan

Hello,
    I'm at an early stage in using a T/S lens, so might not be of great help. *If* I understand your questions correctly they are
    a) How to get both Tilt and Shift working in the same plane.
    b) What are you looking for. This bit I don't understand.
    c) Using the viewfinder doesn't seem to work. I have found that the viewfinder is not of much use when focusing, and, as I use a grid when using the Shift, I use the LV there too. I have bought a "Hoodman" so that the screen is both shaded and magnified.
    Of course, using LV quite a bit imposes a load on your battery, but I think that it just is one of the factors in using T&S.
    As to "a" I haven't tried to answer in case I have misinterpreted your question

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks all.
    After i have manually focused, i depress the shutter (Canon 6D) halfway, and it confirms with a beep and red points.

i do use live view, i guess zooming in to the different parts of the frame are going to be the only way i'll know - i do find the viewfinder doesn't tell me anything.

thanks for your posts, at least the learning curve with this lens is fun . . .

Real Name
    Allan Short

Steve: a couple of suggestions, turn off that beep, it really means nothing and is a plain to other photographers around your. It can also scare off birds if you are beeping every time you focus. With this lens you can get an image that is tack sharp from the very front of the image to the background. Once you have set your camera up on a tripod, try to find something of interest in the foreground, also set the height of the lower to the ground than you usually do. Now using live view focus on something far away remember that you can zoom in on that area, once done, zoom out, now tilt the lens a few degrees down and see how the focus in the foreground is and adjust. You may have to do this a few times until you get everything in sharp focus. Remember as you want a large depth of field you will need to be in the f/16-f/18 range or more.I also suggest that you look at this link and read the 3rd article, "7 advantages of using tilt shift lens".

http://oopoomoo.com/2012/03/seven-ad...-shift-lenses/

There are some other articles and some video of the art of using the tilt shift lens, however you will have to search the site.

Cheers:

Allan

PS check out under Search by Category (video) there are 4 of tilt shift
    Last edited by Polar01; 3rd July 2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: added a PS

Hello again,
    A couple of things to add.
    I agree with Polar01 in that you need to focus distant and near. To help with this, decide what nearest object you must have sharp and focus on that (I use the lens manual for this. Then, decide what is most important in the distant/near distant and focus on that (use your Canon magnifier) and use the Tilt feature to bring that into focus. As has been said, you will have to repeat this process until you gain sharpness on both objects. As to DOF, with a T&S you can get amazing depth with much larger apertures than you would with an "ordinary" lens.
    Enjoy the process!

Real Name
    Yes

Do you have the mark II version of the TS24. The First version has only one orientation, shift is opposite to the tilt. To change this is a factory change, though it can be done. The lens itself does rotate, so you can change the direction of the shift, but in doing so it also changes the tilt direction.
    The Mark II version does not thave this limitation (only the limitation that Canon doubled the price and so made it more difficult to aquire/justify).

It is a lens where you need to practice to get the tilt adjustment right, remember that its role is to angle the plane of focus, point it straight at a brick wall and apply tilt and you will see how the from being sharp across the image you get just a band of sharpness. Now see what happens if you point the lens along a brick wall, no tilt and you have the wall focus going from unsharp to gradually sharpening and then losing sharpness. apply the tilt and you will see that the amount of bricks in focus increases as you tilt the plane of sharpness. After a while you will get a feel for how the lens works.

Real Name
    Steve

Thank you for all the replies, there are some excellent links here.
    i've just returned from Mt. Lassen National Park, only to discover my tripod at home (doh!)

i used my 17-40 and the ts-e (it is the mark II) without tilt or shift.
    here's one from Manzanita Lake;
    A 24mm ts-e question
    Last edited by burnzz; 9th July 2013 at 07:49 PM.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Quote Originally Posted by burnzz View Post
    Thanks all.
    After i have manually focused, i depress the shutter (Canon 6D) halfway, and it confirms with a beep and red points.

i do use live view, i guess zooming in to the different parts of the frame are going to be the only way i'll know - i do find the viewfinder doesn't tell me anything.

thanks for your posts, at least the learning curve with this lens is fun . . .
    Steve - lets start at the beginning. Do you know what the purpose of a TSE lens actually is? Do you understand what the tilt and shift functions are used for?

Real Name
    Steve

let me ask you this - how would you use a tilt shift without a tripod?
    i received the lens shortly before my trip. when i experimented with the tilt and shift it would be mounted on a tripod.
    when i discovered i had left the tripod behind, i used the lens as a wide angle.

this is my first manual focus lens. i think it was good for me to learn how to focus this lens before introducing tilt or shift.

Allan, i bought the ebook from the link you shared. The author did a fine job going over the concepts, and the provided pictures were fantastic.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Darwin does write an easy to understand book on the tilt/shift lens. You can use the shift hand held, as I have done it may times. What you want to do is shutter speed of say 80th of faster, unlock shift, compose image with lens shifted to left, take, use left hand shift lens to centre, shoot, then shift lens to right shoot. As you are looking through lens you can hold pretty steady as you shift the lens, you can also do that in portrait mode after your turn the lens. One of my best shots I got was in Death Valley, the light was changing so fast on the mountain I did not have time to get everything up in time. By the time I reached the bottom, took the first set, realize that the shutter was too slow, adjusted the settings plus focus, I got off 3 sets of three images, it was all over in about 2 minutes.

Cheers:

Allan