Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fountains and lights: C&C

Real Name
    Bedanta

Fountains and lights: C&C

Had this image in mind for a long time, but could not find an opportunity to take the shot. This time also I was not carrying the right equipment (wide angle lens, tripods, remote shutter release, etc.) What I had with me was the nifty fifty only, anyway took my chances for some trial shots. This is what I was able to capture in Manual mode at f/10 and 5 sec. exposure with ISO-100 (Camera was placed on ground, self-timer with 2 sec. delay). Post processing in ACR / CS5, NR with Neat Image (trial version).

Any taker for this? If not, any suggestion? Thanks for all kinds of C&C in advance.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Fountains and lights: C&C

I like the idea very much. For me the most significant question is about that street light in the background. You have achieved a good star effect on it, but I find that it draws attention away from the fountains. I appreciate that without the bushes underneath it would not be lit and that would be a problem. So, I don't know if there is a position you could get into whereby the light itself would be behind the leaves of a tree?

But, of course, you and others may not agree with my assessment.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Bedanta. I agree with what Donald said above. Also suggest cropping off the bottom because of the dark triangle in the lower right corner. Althernately, you can clone some of the reflections down into that area.

Real Name
    Bedanta

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I like the idea very much. For me the most significant question is about that street light in the background. You have achieved a good star effect on it, but I find that it draws attention away from the fountains. I appreciate that without the bushes underneath it would not be lit and that would be a problem. So, I don't know if there is a position you could get into whereby the light itself would be behind the leaves of a tree?

But, of course, you and others may not agree with my assessment.
    Thanks Donald for the feedback.

Yes, that street light is a bit distracting. But could avoid it as that was the only composition I could manage by placing the camera on the ground (next time I'll be carrying my tripods for sure). Tried to reduce the brightness to some extent in PP, but it's still too bright.

Real Name
    Bedanta

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Hi Bedanta. I agree with what Donald said above. Also suggest cropping off the bottom because of the dark triangle in the lower right corner. Althernately, you can clone some of the reflections down into that area.
    Ken, I have already cropped off some portions of the dark triangle (resulting from placing the camera on ground). Cloning some of the reflections seems a better idea, but have never tried it before. Any advice on how it is done? Thanks.

Real Name
    Greg

You could use the patch tool, Bedanta.
    I had a quick go: I just selected a rectangular block from the area of reflection beneath the 4 fountains on the right, and then carefully dragged the selection down the image to fill the black rectangle. With a little more effort and attention to detail, you could do better. I only have CS3, so your CS5 may have a more sophisticated tool, but it can be done.