Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help identifying a lens, please.

Real Name
    Pops

Help identifying a lens, please.

I received this lens in a box of damaged/broken cameras for my students to play with. I am having a problem identifying what brand/model camera it would fit.

Thank you.

Pops

Re: Help identifying a lens, please.

pentax I think

john

The brand name is Konica (lens line is called Hexanon) which has now been bought out for quite some time by Minolta but the two companies remain independent of each other in production. Konica Minolta still exists today but does not make camera (or lenses) anymore but still offers support on film cameras and lenses.

Their slr/dslr division has been sold to Sony. I think an adapter is required for Konica lenses to work on Sony's but many of the mounts are incompatible unless you're shooting film with old Konica or Minolta slrs. Many of Konica's Hexanon line are excellent, and now very affordable second hand if you want students introduced to beginning film photography. But battery grips are very hard to find and this camera will only accept regular AAA's not rechargeable (it will damage the camera).

I used to own a Konica FT-1 (loved it to pieces until the day it died in service) and this was one of the intro primes I used to own. It was a beauty too and here's an image of my exact same setup:

http://www.collection-appareils.fr/k...konica_ft1.jpg
    For more info of the camera: http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Koni..._FT-1_Pro_Half

For more info, you can go and contact:
    http://ca.konicaminolta.com/

Hopes this helps
    Last edited by Amberglass; 18th December 2009 at 07:00 PM.

Real Name
    Pops

I knew it wouldn't fit my Maxxum and it won't fit the Minolta X-700. With that large ledge extending from the base, I just can't figure which line of cameras it will fit. hmmmm

Thanks

Pops

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    I knew it wouldn't fit my Maxxum and it won't fit the Minolta X-700. With that large ledge extending from the base, I just can't figure which line of cameras it will fit. hmmmm

Thanks

Pops
    The lens will only mount on camera made by Konica from 1985 and prior. They're pretty much useless on digitals (Maxxum) even with an adapter ring. Your Minolta X-700 and the Konica FT1 pretty much came out around the same time when Canon's AE-1 was all the rage. Konica was still independent at the time so yes, they will not mount on your bodies.

Again, the companies merged but still produced their lines independent though under the same roof. It's like Bosch appliances; they own Viking, Thermador, and a few other high end appliance brand names.

But you can always use the lens by itself to demonstrate how aperture and f stops work.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 18th December 2009 at 09:28 PM.

Real Name
    Pops

The lens will only mount on camera made by Konica from 1985 and prior.

But you can always use the lens by itself to demonstrate how aperture and f stops work.
    That is the information for which I was reaching. Thank you.

Using the lens in my photo classes is exactly what I will be doing. Now I have the information I need to start explaining the many different mounts, controlling levers, gears, motors and built in magics they are going to be confused by over the coming years.

Pops

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    That is the information for which I was reaching. Thank you.

Using the lens in my photo classes is exactly what I will be doing. Now I have the information I need to start explaining the many different mounts, controlling levers, gears, motors and built in magics they are going to be confused by over the coming years.

Pops
    You're welcome, Pops. Sorry for the informercial spiel. I really loved my Konica. Too bad when the companies merged, my lenses pretty much became obsoleteafter I graduated from high school (way back when in 1984). So I was forced to start all over again when my body died.

This is one of the main reasons why I encourage people, who wishes to enter photography, to go with a larger brand name like Nikon or Canon. They've made up their mind about which mount to stay with long ago.