Thread: Use SpeedLite in Av mode

Use SpeedLite in Av mode

Hi,

I’m using a Canon 60D with SpeedLite 430Ex II. I have a doubt about the way I use my flash in Av mode. My question is this. If I use my SpeedLite with E-TTL II mode and camera in Av mode and ISO is in some small value, let’s say 400. Now if I semi press the shoot button it do the metering and set the shutter speed to a long shutter. Because camera calculates the ambient light not the flash + ambient light.

I need to overcome this issue but I don’t know how. Please provide me more information about this or good articles, e-books, resources to follow.

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Jim

Re: Use SpeedLite in Av mode

Here is a good book for learning the Canon flash system.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Karu View Post
    I’m using a Canon 60D with SpeedLite 430Ex II. . . . My question is this.

If I use my SpeedLite with E-TTL II mode and camera in Av mode and ISO is in some small value, let’s say 400. Now if I semi press the shoot button it do the metering and set the shutter speed to a long shutter. Because camera calculates the ambient light not the flash + ambient light.

I need to overcome this issue but I don’t know how.
    Answer only to the question, as it was asked:

IF you want to use Av Mode - AND - you want to have a FASTER shutter speed than the camera’s TTL Meter initially selects for you, then you have [five] options:

1. Use an HIGHER ISO
    2. Use a LARGER APERTURE
    3. Use EXPOSURE COMPENSATION
    4. Use any combination of the above three
    5. [added later]Use Custom Function to set Shutter Speed (see Kathy Li comment below)

Obviously –
    a. Options #1 & #2 will NOT change the Ambient Exposure.
    b. But options #3 & #5 WILL change the Ambient Exposure.

Alternatively, as you seem to already know that when the camera is in Av Mode (an Automatic mode), the Speedlite will act as Flash as Fill for the foreground Subject – AND – the camera’s TTL Meter will set the Shutter Speed for the ‘correct exposure’ of the AMBIENT SCENE, it meters: if you want to have manual control over the Shutter Speed, then you can use the Camera in M Mode

The book suggested above is very good and has good practical working scenarios described in it.

I would also suggest “Mastering Canon EOS Photography”; N. K Guy; (Rocky Nook Publications), as a reference book – it describes the functionality of EOS Flash in detail and also has very good working examples.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 2nd July 2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Added use of Custom Function to complete list

Thanks Jim B, I'll go through that.

Thanks William. I'll go through and practice your solution provided. If I have a doubt or question I'll post it here again. Thanks for the valuable information.

Thanks nimitzbenedicto. Those videos are really beneficial.

Real Name
    Kathy

If you want to stay in Av mode, the easiest thing to do to force the shutter speed is to modify custom function I.7 in your menus, so that you're using either 1: 1/250 - 1/60 sec auto or 2: 1/250 sec (fixed), rather than 0: Auto. This will limit your shutter speeds into the handholding range while using Av.

Of course, this is still far less control than shooting with the camera in M mode and learning to balance the flash against the ambient exactly the way you want.

The alternative would be to set the camera manually to suit the scene then vary the flash output compensation as required. As Kathy mentions.

But note that your shutter speed will be limited to 1/250 unless you use High Speed Flash. Also ETTL flash option should be selected. Which for most people, is the normal default position.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    . . . modify custom function I.7 in your menus, so that you're using either 1: 1/250 - 1/60 sec auto or 2: 1/250 sec (fixed), rather than 0: Auto. This will limit your shutter speeds into the handholding range while using Av.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never use that function ('cause I never shoot with Flash in Av Mode) and so I forgot all about it.

Thanks - !

WW

Thanks Everybody

William W, you mentioned "I never shoot with Flash in Av Mode". Then what mode are you use in human portraits such as parties and weddings?
    Cheers.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Karu View Post
    William W, you mentioned "I never shoot with Flash in Av Mode". Then what mode are you use in human portraits such as parties and weddings?
    When using Flash at Wedding or Parties, I will always use M Mode or rarely but sometimes P Mode – and I will never use Av or Tv Modes.

When not using Flash at Weddings and Events and also for most other shooting, I usually use M Mode, probably 95% of the time, but do occasionally also use Tv, Av, P and B Modes.

WW

Great. Thanks WW this solved lots of my doubts.

Same as William; normally shoot in manual camera mode and vary the flash to suit.

When I first moved from an old fixed output film camera flash to a modern ETTL flash with variable output I wasn't happy with my results; until I switched to this method.

The auto settings (including Tv and Av) tend to automatically set 1/60 and wide open aperture. Although one element is adjustable with Tv or Av.

But I repeat that with manual camera settings and ETTL flash, some slight flash output compensation will frequently be needed; so some experimentation is usually necessary to adjust for the ambient light conditions.

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Hi,

Try these notes from a workshop I put together for my camera club as a workshop.

http://www.stortfordcameraclub.org.u...shop-Notes.pdf

Yes its confusing but not too difficult to master. Options and menus can be confusing and the Canon guides are not that clear on first read through.

Also try Hi speed sync ... Set via flash or menu on camera .

Regards

David