Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Choose an Ebook Cover for this Website

Real Name
    Jim

Re: Help Choose an Ebook Cover for this Website

As the others have already stated, I think that all of the finalists are great possible choices, but if in fact this is the first of several volumes, there should be one clear winner. that to me is the second cover shown. The lens with the spectrum of light passing thru defines what the initial process of photography is, in its actual basic concept; the capturing of light!

Some of the other covers portray the results obtained by utilizing that process, while some of the others seem to hint at it, better related to a following volume of beyond the basic core concepts.

Jim
    jmk-nbsc

Real Name
    Christy

I like them all but the one that I like the most is the first one. All those images going into the camera remind me of how I look at the world, seeing images everywhere.

I am not pleased with any of the images, may be the one with the eye have the most intersting concept, I think and teach that photography is not made with cameras or computers, is made with eyes and brains.

Real Name
    justin sison

I'll go for the one with the "EYE". It has the touch of both monochrome & colour photography. But if the e-books will be released in volumes, the one with the shutterstock watermark I find suitable for the "volume 1".

Real Name
    Shawn

My vote is for the first image.

I agree the second one is better. It is clean, without clutter, and goes to the point of photography. I'm still not quite satisfied though and would like this concept with something worked in that would also suggest composition.

The light through the lens does it best for me, becaust it represents how you see it through the lens.
    Last edited by Jimleu; 29th June 2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: format

The first one is my favorite.

I find that most of the covers look very cluttered too much going on and while the image of 1 is great i prefer the simplicity of 2 and 4. I am not sure why but i do not like the spliting of the word photography. I thing it should be on one line. The eye is great also but as many seem to think of having seen it some where else i have disgarded it. Good luck with the book

I prefer the 2nd image. It would make me notice the book. I look forward to buying when it's finished.

Real Name
    Bruce

My favourite is the fourth design.

Real Name
    Nadezhda

Second one is good but too simple. The first is not about understanding. It is more about displaying. Maybe if you add into second picture to the right some part of landscape and to the left a photo of it, the lens and spectrum through the lens will have more sense.

I like #'s 1 & 3 since they emphasize finished images.

My vote is for this picture I took of the Grand Tetons in May, 2013. Help Choose an Ebook Cover for this Website
    Thanks, Lyndon
    Last edited by McQ; 30th June 2013 at 01:11 AM.

Book cover number 1: The title and subtitle of the book fights with the image above. Book number 2 is much cleaner and uncluttered, so I vote for number 2. I think it will be more eye catching on the shelf.

I like the first one. I don't like the 2nd one with the lens and don't think it would appeal to beginners, too techy. I also like the one of the photographer on the rock very much, simple and appealing. I don't like any of the ones with the color swatches, they break up the page.

Real Name
    Randy Butters

My choice is the second image. I like the geometry & RGB colors.

The first image is way too 'busy' for me; more distraction than interest. The image of the eye is nice but looks too much like images from other products. I think the third image is interesting but again a bit too busy. Images four and six are good but say less about the subject line. The last image is good and nicely shows the potential of different photo exposures & processing techniques. The color bands of 'pixels' make a statement but offer as much distraction as enhancement.

I guess what I'm saying overall is I prefer simpler images with cleaner lines and the second one works for me that way.

Real Name
    Andrew

Another for #2. To me most of the others come across as "Understanding Editing".

Sorry folks, but none of the examples are suitable for today's Internet viewing. Designers can no longer count on web site viewers have a 4:3 proportioned, 1028 x 764 screen, with a certain color gamut and a gamma of 2.2, as well a high-speed connection suitable for downloading big graphics. Increasingly people are viewing web sites on smart phones, e-book readers, and tablets. Smartphone screens are around the size of a deck of playing cards and their resolutions and color gamuts vary widely. Five inch (diagonal) e-book readers are about the size of an A Trade Paperback; 7 inch (diagonal) tablets are about the size of a B Trade Paperback: and 9 inch (diagonal) tablets are about the size of a C Trade Paperback. In other words, they are all really, really dinky. Further some very dismal research reveals that no one reads anything on the web. They skim, in an "F" pattern, spending on average four seconds per 100 words. So the nearest established type of design to designing for today's web viewers is Outdoor Advertising (billboards). All the of designs presented so far have far too much fine detail and are too "busy" and so would lack impact when squinted at on a smartphone screen. Digest this hard to swallow bolus and come back with proposals that are more universally applicable. And by the way, post them as SVGs (scalable vector graphics) and not JPGs, PNGs, or GIFs. Those formats are the wave of the past.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

I like the second one with the light coming in and out of the lens. The first one is nice with the images flowing out of the lens, the concept is good, but maybe use a little more dramatic images coming out, the ones there are more like commercials and stock photos. Looks like a lot of work went into the designing. @downtownpearl does have a point though they look like a lot of the books on the shelf at the bookstore, although the really important part is what is inside and how that is presented. If the content is useful people don't spend a lot of time looking at the cover because the book is always open. I hope this is something that will be available as an eBook.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast