Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Prague

Real Name
    tom dinning

Prague

Just thought I'd share some shots from Prague.

[IMG]Prague _DSC4862 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Prague _DSC4860 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Prague _DSC4464 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Prague _DSC4786 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Prague

Quote Originally Posted by tomdinning View Post

[IMG]Prague _DSC4862 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Prague _DSC4860 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]
    I always think that the real skill is in 'seeing' the images that lie in scenes like this.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Tom my shots of Prague are very touristy compared to these. You've found some good angles there. #1 doesn't do a lot for me but the others work well.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Nice series Tom. No. 2 appeals to me in particular but all good. Would have liked a bit more space at the top to include the top of the lamp post though. A record of a happier time I suspect because I hate to think what the recent floods have done to the city.

Real Name
    tom dinning

It's the challenge, Don, more than the skill. As they say, good fortune and a camera in hand will provide the opportunity.
    I'll keep you in mind next time I take a shot, Dave. Do you want to be specific? I bet its about you more than me.
    The shot was taken yesterday, John. Floods didn't do any damage here.

Some more of the same.

[IMG]Prague _DSC1023 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Prague _DSC4620 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Prague _DSC4878 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Greg

I like the 2nd one in the first set. Something about the juxtapositioning of straight and curved lines; and the contrast between the green of the light and the pink shoes.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by tomdinning View Post
    I'll keep you in mind next time I take a shot, Dave. Do you want to be specific? I bet its about you more than me.
    Tom judging by the tone of your response to my comments, they appear to have caused some offense. I'm not sure why. I don't even fully understand what you are saying.

My comment about my images being touristy was simply meant to highlight the creativity of yours. Perhaps I was a bit obscure ?

My comment that your first image didn't do a lot for me was just my opinion. I assumed that in posting you were seeking to hear what others thought ? To be more specific :-

There is nothing that grabs my interest in the image and there is nothing in it that grabs at my emotions. All we can see is the back view of some people. I wonder if a view more from the side where some of their faces could be seen and where we would see a bit more of the river might have made it more appealing to me. I might also have preferred a colour version.

As I said, images 2,3 and 4 worked for me. I particularly liked 2 and the B&W treatment in 3.

Dave

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Tom judging by the tone of your response to my comments, they appear to have caused some offense. I'm not sure why. I don't even fully understand what you are saying.

My comment about my images being touristy was simply meant to highlight the creativity of yours. Perhaps I was a bit obscure ?

My comment that your first image didn't do a lot for me was just my opinion. I assumed that in posting you were seeking to hear what others thought ? To be more specific :-

There is nothing that grabs my interest in the image and there is nothing in it that grabs at my emotions. All we can see is the back view of some people. I wonder if a view more from the side where some of their faces could be seen and where we would see a bit more of the river might have made it more appealing to me. I might also have preferred a colour version.

As I said, images 2,3 and 4 worked for me. I particularly liked 2 and the B&W treatment in 3.

Dave
    No offense taken, Dave. Your from Brisbane. You can't be all bad.
    You are right. I leave the touristy stuff to Christine, although I have noticed she is starting to get a bit esoteric in her approach as well. Some days we look at the pictures and wonder where the hell we have been.
    I take the shots as I see them. A bit raw, clumsy, and as the view appears before me as it catches my attention. The composition I leave to the dice man; as the numbers fall. I just edit it with the frame to fit into the rectangle.
    On Charles Bridge in Prague, this is what you see. Bums.tourists hanging out for a better view. It's what I see and it's the irony that amuses me. I come all this way to see what? Tourist bums lined up on a bridge. Faceless tourists, badly dressed and hogging the view. I'm not sure if its what I came to see but it's there so I may as well photograph it.
    My position here isn't to ask for any criticism on the way I take photos. That's my business. Any image I post here is exactly as I want it. I do not take into consideration, when I take a shot, what others might want to see. That would be false and futile. This is my view of the world. It doesn't need correcting.
    Feel free to comment of the content as subject matter. Take it that I am talking to you through my photos. Don't correct my grammar, read between the lines. Listen to me not yourself. What am I saying? If you don't get it, that's OK. Sometimes the language is a bit foggy. It's meant to be that way.

Regards
    Tom

Real Name
    tom dinning

[IMG]Prague _DSC4767 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Prague _DSC4811-2 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Prague _DSC1034 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Andrew

Third shot in the "more of the same" (DSC4878) makes me laugh and celebrate the human race. What fortuitous timing to catch that grin.

Real Name
    Richard

[IMG]Prague _DSC4620 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

Great shots of Prague. I love shots that are not post card views.

One thing about Europe that I noticed is the seemingly overwhelming pevalence of Graffitti. Sure we have it here in the USA but, our graffitti seems to be somewhat limited to one group. It is often gang related; at least here in Southern California. Spray pant sales are limited to adults but, that doesn't seem to help the problem very much.

Touring through Athens, Greece recently, I remarked that I would like to have the spray paint concession for that city...

Real Name
    Richard

[IMG]Prague _DSC1023 by tom.dinning, on Flickr[/IMG]

Great shots of Prague. I love shots that are not post card views.

One thing about Europe that I noticed is the seemingly overwhelming pevalence of Graffitti and I hate graffitti! Sure we have it here in the USA but, our graffitti seems to be somewhat limited to one group and it is often gang related here in Southern California. California spray paint sales are supposedly limited to adults but, that doesn't seem to help the problem very much. The home imprvement stores usually keep there stock of spray paint cans behind mesh enclosures. However, the enclosures are often left unlocked which defeats their purpose!

Touring through Athens, Greece recently, I remarked that I would like to have the spray paint concession for that city...