Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

View Poll Results: Which is the better photo?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

5 83.33%
  • B

1 16.67%

Thread: COP15 - Which is better?

Real Name
    Henrik Herskind

COP15 - Which is better?

Here are two photos from the street "riots" during COP15 in Copenhagen. Can you help me decide, which is the better of them - and possibly why?

Picture A:

COP15 - Which is better?

Picture B:

COP15 - Which is better?
    Last edited by Henrik; 14th December 2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Made an addition

Real Name
    António Correia

Re: COP15 - Which is better?

The first one looks better to me because it shows the opposition of the guards and the people while on the second one all the tension is gone and the moment and demonstration is all about it.
    The traffic signal on the far left is also an important piece on the composition.

Real Name
    Henrik Herskind

Thank you for your comment, Antonio! - I agree on the part about the opposition of the guards and the people in the first picture - although we also see a girl smiling to the police officer.

The second picture I named "Dancing in the street", because of the chain of people. And because - to my limited knowledge - the demonstrations so far have been very neat. Now we'll see about Wednesday...

I didn't claim any of these pictures to be brilliant. I just thought one of them might be better than the other.

Meanwhile I got the inspiration of doing B&W. - Enclosed as a special bonus.

COP15 - Which is better?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Henrik,

I think the first thing I saw was the smiling girl in A, she is also very important to the first picture (maybe I just have a 'thing' for smiling girls ).

In A, I see; a smiling girl, 5 policemen (1 nonchalant), the lorry and two traffic signs and a lot of photographers, and some people in the distance - the lack of placards makes it hard to say they are demonstrating in the way we see in UK.

B definitely has the feeling of a moment passed; we've missed all the action and it's the photographer's fault.
    That said, I can see what you mean about the dance procession in B, I believe we call that kind of thing "the Conga"

In B, I see; one street sign, some cars and 3 policemen on their way somewhere else a lot of photographers and people deciding what to do next - particularly a group of three 'togs bottom left., Those that have decided, are on their way - particularly blurry girl rushing out bottom right.

Oh, and it looks cold.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Henrik Herskind

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your thorough analysis! I feel the wind swaying in a certain direction

Beside the "dancing chain" - or "Conga" - in picture B I sense that the crowd is actually moving. In A they seem to be, what we name "herrings in a barrel".

Yes, it is a bit cold around here. The day after it snowed:

COP15 - Which is better?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Thank you for your thorough analysis!
    No worries,

I can (over) analyse most things to death

Ah, now, the last picture - definitely a demonstration and very cold.
    As it happens, we had a flurry of snow ourselves today and much more is coming Friday I understand

Cheers,

Real Name
    António Correia

Today I was - where was I ? - well, it doesn't matter but I was not in the net or making my pictures. I was probably just walking in the street or having a coffee.
    Well, lets go on.

And I thought of the two previous pictures.
    I thought that they have a very flat point of view. Not bold. Just like: "I am here. I shoot from here. If I was there I would shoot from there". And so on.
    I think - I have no experience whatsoever of this kind of pictures and it is easier to say than do it - that you must be bolder.
    Jump into the crowd, go inside the crowd, shoot from the top, from the bottom, biased, upside down, whatever comes to your mind.
    Make mad shots. Try to innovate in your point of view.
    And place something in the foreground to give depth to your pictures.
    Probably use f/2.8 in this cases or use f/22 if possible to see the results.
    I hope there will be more demonstrations for you to try, experiment and show us your work.

My daughter in law says that Kopenhagen is the nicest city she has ever seen.
    I have been there some 567 years ago or so.

Come on. I am waiting.

(please don't consider my bold way to say things. I do have a terrible character. Don't take me too seriously, just a little bit, OK ? )

Real Name
    Henrik Herskind

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    ... you must be bolder.
    Jump into the crowd, go inside the crowd, shoot from the top, from the bottom, biased, upside down, whatever comes to your mind.
    Make mad shots. Try to innovate in your point of view.
    And place something in the foreground to give depth to your pictures.
    Probably use f/2.8 in this cases or use f/22 if possible to see the results.
    You've definately got a point, Antonio! Yet - where was I? In my case it actually matters, because I WAS AT WORK! - I happen to work in one of the government buildings - in different offices, so when the outrageous crowd turns up, I can pop up to the window and have a shot without leaving my desk for longer than I can be excused.

Did you view the snowy picture large?

But I have it on my photography list already: I MUST BE BOLDER! (I particularly don't like shooting people I don't know)

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    My daughter in law says that Kopenhagen is the nicest city she has ever seen.
    I have been there some 567 years ago or so.
    I'm glad your daugher in law likes Copenhagen. I was in Prague last year, and I actually didn't find the place specifically interesting compared to Copenhagen. (Well, maybe I was just in a bad mood...) - Now, you should come around for a visit. We have no mermaid to shoot at the moment (on vacation in China), but you could probably find something else. Perhaps a live one?

And for your conveniance now - Picture A in B&W:

COP15 - Which is better?
    Last edited by Henrik; 17th December 2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Added picture