Thread: Rescue

Real Name
    Bobo

Rescue

At about 7pm the other day a friend called saying he had the trees in his backyard trimmed. Apparently the contractor was not a careful person and had cut down a branch with a nest with sitting chicks. My friend only noticed when the mom started flitting around the garden and constantly went into one particular downed branch. On checking he found a robin's nest still intact with 3 chicks in it. He wanted to know what could be done.

Obviously being on the ground and open to the night predators and wind the possibility of the chicks surviving looked pretty slim and we had no idea what to do. The mom was sitting on top of the next door roof observing our every move.

I went over and after some discussion we decided first to feed the chicks. Pumped his flowerbeds with water to get the worms out and we grabbed about 8 nice looking ones. His brother-in-law fed each in turn and they soon settled back into sleep.

Next we got hold of his nephew who is a tree/rock climber of sorts and had him find a nice perch on the same tree to relocate the nest. After trying all sorts of things to build a solid perch in the tree, we gave up as nothing was going to sit firmly in the fork. We then decided to get a flat piece of wood up to the nephew and asked him to tie it down on each of the 3 prongs. That got us the solid base. Then we wrapped some of the smaller cut twigs around the platform to form a sort of trough so that the nest would not be blown away by the wind.

When all the prep work was done we turned to the nest to see how it could be moved back. Birds really have it down to a fine art. That nest was stuck solid to that branch with mud and so well woven. So without touching the nest at all, we cut away the surrounding branches leaving it as it was and then lifted the whole thing into the platform. A bit more tying down and it was back onto a solid foundation.

But we would not know until the next morning the result. Thankfully the robin found the nest and kept coming in with food. At times flew dancing circles around the garden as if to thank the people for the assistance.

A good end to an otherwise messy situation. If the contractor had left with the debris as originally planned that would have been the end of this nest.

Some pics while it was on the ground.

1. Waiting for mom
    Rescue

2. Being fed
    Rescue

Rescue

Rescue

Rescue

6. Just before relocation
    Rescue

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Re: Rescue

Well done Bobo, on all counts. Great captures but even more so a great piece of rescue work which did not cause the mother bird to reject her young as a result of human interference smells. Excellent alround effort. Take a gold star and move to the head of the class.

Real Name
    Grahame

Thanks for sharing the story behind the pics. Superb shots and well deserved prize for putting these little guys back up where they belonged.

Grahame

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Great story!
    Well done Bobo.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Enjoyed reading your post and viewing the images. You should submit to local newspaper or magazine.

Real Name
    John

What a great story and series of pics. I enjoyed reading that.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Hi Bobo. Really like no. 7. It gives a different perspective. Great story.

karm

Real Name
    Dan

That's a cool story. I would have assumed the mom would abandon after the nest was disturbed. Good on you for persevering. And great photos too!

Real Name
    Bedanta

Great job done. Nice story/pics too..........

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks everyone. Will convey your kind words to those concerned.

No updates yet - friend and family are away. Will ask when he gets back/

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Terrific story and series!

Real Name
    Natalie

What a great story and photos! I have found that the mommas don't abandon the babies even if we touch them and get our smell on them...this is more of a myth....I have put fallen babies back into a nest and they keep feeding them.....I would have tried duct tape, taping the old branch with nest to a new branch. Duct tape is the world's #1 fix it all miracle!! LOL! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Real Name
    Suzan J

I have to chime in here too and let you know what a great story this is. I have never seen baby robins up close like that before. The size of those mouths are unbelievable. Good job!

Real Name
    Harry

Echo everyone else's comments, well done Bobo on all accounts