Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunset at the Adelaide Graveyard for ships

Real Name
    Debbie

Sunset at the Adelaide Graveyard for ships

Hi, I haven't posted for some time and thought I would put this one up for viewing. This was taken in Adelaide - South Australia, Australia. The sun is shining through an old hole in the top of
    the wreck.
    This is a hdr image which I have tried to make look as near to a normal images as possible.
    C & C welcome.
    Thanks for looking
    </a>Sunset at the Adelaide Graveyard for ships

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Sunset at the Adelaide Graveyard for ships

Filled the car up with petrol a couple of hours ago and the cashier who was from Adelaide was saying I must visit it and roam around the food market. Your photograph adds to the impression that I must visit the area with my camera. Very well controlled HDR. Did you have 5 gumboots? Two for you and the rest for the tripod. The clouds in the sky and the reflections in the water really add to it. Great shot of an intriguing scene. The clump of vegetation at the bottom right is a bit of a distraction for me and I wonder if cloning it out would be worth doing. I think it may spoil the composition trying to crop it out.

Thanks for giving me something so interesting to look at.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 24th June 2013 at 10:13 AM.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Filled the car up with petrol a couple of hours ago and the cashier who was from Adelaide was saying I must visit it and roam around the food market. Your photograph adds to the impression that I must visit the area with my camera. Very well controlled HDR. Did you have 5 gumboots? Two for you and the rest for the tripod. The clouds in the sky and the reflections in the water really add to it. Great shot of an intriguing scene. The clump of vegetation at the bottom right is a bit of a distraction for me and I wonder if cloning it out would be worth doing. I think it my spoil the composition trying to crop it out.

Thanks for giving me something so interesting to look at.
    Good idea about cloning out the bottom right. Will do that. Actually only had on some good strong boots.
    It was a bit soft but as long as I treaded carefully it was fine.
    Thanks for the compliment on the image.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Debbie,
    An interesting image.
    I'm wondering to know how where you were when took the photo.
    Very well done.
    Antonio.

Viewing at full screen size makes a considerable difference to this image.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Debbie. A very striking image. Very pleasant to view and the silos in background are so out of context from a decayed boat, that they add a lot of interest.

You might consider cropping off most of the mud at the bottom (all the way up to the base of the island just below the boat but leaving a bit of water showing, and cropping off the right side almost to the rightmost edge of the boat, but leaving a bit of space between boat and cropped edge. Because of the bright reflections, the wet, muddy area at the bottom tends to pull the viewer's eye away from the real interesting parts, namely the boat, silos and clouds. I like the sky just as you have it. With the cropping, the sky provides a lot of negative space to balance the composition.

My two cents. You may disagree.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Hat View Post
    Debbie,
    An interesting image.
    I'm wondering to know how where you were when took the photo.
    Very well done.
    Antonio.
    Just in front of where the water is was a marshy, soggy bit of land that I was able to creep out onto. It wasn't as bad as that sounds but I did have to be a bit careful.

Real Name
    Debbie

I am going to try the crop you mention and see it I like it better.
    Thanks

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Hi Debbie. I think it's a captivating image.

karm

Real Name
    John

Nice image Debbie, nice idea and well seen. I agree with Ken's crop though. It moves the point of interest away from the centre line of the comp.

Real Name
    Bedanta

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Hi Debbie. A very striking image. Very pleasant to view and the silos in background are so out of context from a decayed boat, that they add a lot of interest.

You might consider cropping off most of the mud at the bottom (all the way up to the base of the island just below the boat but leaving a bit of water showing, and cropping off the right side almost to the rightmost edge of the boat, but leaving a bit of space between boat and cropped edge. Because of the bright reflections, the wet, muddy area at the bottom tends to pull the viewer's eye away from the real interesting parts, namely the boat, silos and clouds. I like the sky just as you have it. With the cropping, the sky provides a lot of negative space to balance the composition.

My two cents. You may disagree.
    +1