Thread: A Man And His Machine

Real Name
    John

A Man And His Machine

There is a huge following in the UK for steam trains and many excursions are run particularly during the summer months. Quite a few come through my local station on the way to the North Yorkshire moors. The Union of south Africa (pictured) is the same class of engine as the record breaking Mallard. I was able to capture it and its driver during a recent stop for water.

A Man And His Machine

A Man And His Machine

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Re: A Man And His Machine

Superb shots. Bravo!

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

I can't my finger on what it is in number one, but there is something that distracts my focus from the train. It might be the horizontal iron bar that runs over the top of the train or it might be the foliage in the background that distracts my eye. It is a great shot and an interesting train but there is something that distracts me from the train itself.

Shot #2 is an absolute keeper. Great expression on the engineer's face and the window of the train frames him really well.

Real Name
    Philip

Yes, two nice photos, John, but I wonder if the first might also benefit from cloning out "Debenhams" and toning down the brickwork there?

Philip

Real Name
    Gretchen

John!

I'm also trying to put my finger on what is distracting me in #1. I think there is just a lot to look at and the colors are so vivid! Mostly, it's probably that I am not a "train" kinda person.

I like the composition in #2 alot! Did you use filters in PP or how did you get the contract that shows his furrowed brow so distinctly?

Thanks!
    Gretchen

Real Name
    John

Thanks for your comments all. The problem with no.1 is that it is into the sun and very contrasty. I had to resort to some HDR tocompensate and should have toned it down a bit. That's what I was saying Gretchen about living with something for a while. I didn't do here. The second one has been processed in Nik Colour FX Pro 4. I wanted a gritty feel to it to. It seemed appropriate to what he was doing.

Real Name
    Gretchen

John,

AH! yes, I see.

Thanks for your input.

ggt

Real Name
    John

You're welcome Gretchen.
    Last edited by John 2; 24th June 2013 at 09:56 AM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Thanks for your comments all. The problem with no.1 is that it is into the sun and very contrasty. I had to resort to some HDR tocompensate and should have toned it down a bit. That's what I was saying Gretchen about living with something for a while. I didn't do here. The second one has been processed in Nik Colour FX Pro 4. I wanted a gritty feel to it to. It seemed appropriate to what he was doing.
    I found the reflections or the brilliance of the engine to be that odd thing that hit me on first viewing no. 1. I can well imagine the lighting was a challenge. No. 2 is a stunner! I think you've nailed it.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Andrew. The HDR treatment was over the top and needed to be pulled back a bit. I did it at the last minute really, as a scene setter for the portrait. I should have sat on it for a few days before posting and I might have seen the problem for myself. C'est la vie.
    Last edited by John 2; 24th June 2013 at 09:42 PM.