Thread: Portrait

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Portrait

The other day I went for a walk around the neighbourhood with my girlfriend. The sun was just about setting so I thought we could have some fun. I but her with her back to the sun and filled in the shadows with just a little flash from my speedlite. Think the result is pretty nice and I kind of like the little bit of flare I got, what do you think?
    C&C always welcome

Portrait
    Day166 by Tobias Weber, on Flickr

Re: Portrait

Basically a good shot, Tobias, but I wonder if showing a fraction more at the top and/or bottom, with a different image size ratio, might have produced a slightly better balance between her and the background?

Alternatively, how about cropping to a different size ratio and losing a little from the right side.

It is almost working for me, but there seems to be a little bit of scene balance conflict here.

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Now that you mention it I see what you mean. It also brought me to notice that the top of her head looks slightly weirdly shaped.

Real Name
    Emily

Beautiful

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Nice shot; the umbrella frames her nicely. I wonder though if the shot might not work better if she were looking to camera right; i.e. into the frame, rather than out and perhaps up a bit. The lens flare is personal taste; some love it others don't. In this case the reflected colours work nicely with the colours in the umbrella.

Real Name
    Lex

One thing no one's covered is that your DoF is spot-on. She's sharp front to back, and the parasol's out of focus. Nailed it.

I can't say the flare works for me here. Maybe if it was off to the right, in front of only the parasol. PP-wise, there's a bit of a hard light effect going that doesn't seem to help the mood, and it looks a tad over-sharpened. But maybe that's the style you were after. The crop is a little tight for me, especially around her chin. Despite all those quibbles, it's a darn good shot.

Real Name
    Natalie

I agree with what's already been said. She has a bit of a Barbra Streisand look to her....It is a darn good shot despite the quibbles....LOL!