Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photographers Repertoire:

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Photographers Repertoire:

Quote Originally Posted by siggi View Post
    And sometimes you realize you left your camera on bracketing or manual focus which confuses the whole issue
    Yeah! Been there done both
    Last edited by jcuknz; 22nd June 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

Or, if you shoot a Canon 600D or similar, where the Live View button is perilously close to the thumb rest. Press that by mistake, the viewfinder goes black, you're shooting flash in the near dark, and .........!!!! Which is why I disable Live View till I need it.

Real Name
    Virginia

Good morning, pnodrog:

The problem is that, if you're not used to doing something and fouling it up, how do you get enough experience to be able to get anything organized like Ady's list as a starting point to getting things "ingrained"? It's a little like the mythical 10,000 hours to become an expert at doing anything. For those activities which amount to "hobbies" (though intense for some) for those of us whose occupations are focused on other activities, having a head start on the list Ady proposed will get us closer to having the steps "ingrained". And, every time we get a new/different camera, we necessarily have to go slowly at the beginning and having such a list available helps us get up to speed to ingrain the new cameras' features in our skills.

I'm jes' sayin'....

virginia

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Damn lenscap....!

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Having made so many stupid mistakes and messing up shots by not thinking before shooting I compiled this repertoire for myself in an attempt to increase the keepers and minimise the delete’s.

Do you have a “ritual” you perform before shooting?

Photographers Repertoire:
    1.) Look: Look at the scene before you.
    2.) See: See the light, the mood, the moment, the image, the picture.
    3.) Compose: Apply the guidelines of composition in your mind.
    4.) Visualise: Focal point, depth of field, motion.
    5.) Camera: Switch on the camera.
    6.) Check: White Balance, Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO.
    7.) Frame: Look trough the viewfinder and frame your composition.
    8.) Expose: Make sure the exposure is correct.
    9.) Focus: Keep the focal point sharp in focus.
    10.) Shoot: Capture the image you visualised.
    11.) Review: Make sure you captured what you visualised. If it is not what you imagined, adjust settings and go back to #7.

Any ideas to add to the list?

Depends on the camera I'm shooting with or have to hand.

DSLR:
    1. See a shot and decide which lens will capture it - assuming I have a choice - while thinking about DoF.
    2. Frame the shot through the viewfinder getting the right balance between the elements.
    3. Set the Mode/Aperture/Shutter Speed/ISO.
    4. Take the shot - the first three steps will have decided exposure and focus point.
    5. Chimp

Compact:

1. See a shot.
    2. Pick a Shooting Mode
    3. Play with the zoom until I'm happy with the composition.
    4. Take the shot.
    5. Chimp.

iPhone:

1. See a shot.
    2. Take the shot.
    3. App it.
    4. Share it.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I confess my single biggest annoying boo boo was to not notice the exposure compensation was set to some extreme and I think it took at least 10,000 hrs to get it ingrained that it maybe a good thing to check.
    Of course with your systems background you may have heard the theory that to minimise programming bugs it is best to not deal with more than 7 variables at a time. I think the same sort of value applies to a memorised list.

Personally I am after 10,000 hrs of mistakes convinced that returning your camera to your preferred settings before you pack it up is a very good habit.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 24th June 2013 at 07:58 AM.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Unless you are trying to belittle me I do not see any relevance in the rest of your reply. A bit surprised and disappointed.

My remark was unquestioned and is withdrawn, unconditionally. I beg your forgiveness.

Real Name
    Paul

Andre you are totally forgiven. I had just come back from a miserable game of golf and was looking for any excuse to be grumpy and I don't have a cat to kick.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by bedantabd View Post
    mode was in Self-timer All you get is a beep-beep-beep sound

And have I done that!

That is when you do what Dave does (post#7).

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    returning your camera to your preferred settings before you pack it up is a very good habit.
    The two button reset on a Nikon!

Before taking the next shot you will have to make some adjustments again.

The list does not imply hard and fast "rules". I came up with the list because I still make those stupid mistakes of shooting a landscape wide open, in low light, with a shutter speed of 1/600. Exposure might be fine but it messes up DOF.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Depends on the camera I'm shooting with or have to hand.
    Agreed Robin.

Some will never have to use a list like that even though they are shooting a DSLR. Check one setting only - that green Ai on that dial on top of the camera (like my wife ).

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

This is an excellent thread with good information for those who are starting out with photography. It should be made a "Sticky", Moderators,

I think for the most of us here the checklist mainly focuses on gear before we even venture out the door, with the onus on spare this, spare that, spare them. Oh, and extra one of them. Just in case. Always just in case.

And for most of us it becomes so ingrained that it borders on OCD.

But sometimes we forget. And that's the point the OP is trying to put across.

Case in point; Recently we had a weekend away in the Lake District. And I'd forgotten to pack spare batteries for my flash. I couldn't believe it. Seriously, I was mortified. The Mrs said, "Stop bl!*din' moaning! Buy some at the shop!" But that wasn't the problem. What if there hadn't been a shop? I felt that I'd FUBAR'd in a big way.

And when we got back, there on the sideboard in the front room sat two sets of four, wrapped in the little red plastic bands the postmen (and women, ) leave on the street corners all over the UK, were my batteries, mockingly ready waiting for their trip.

So I'll add to the list; Put the stuff... IN THE BAG!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    This is an excellent thread with good information for those who are starting out with photography. It should be made a "Sticky", Moderators,
    Ask and ye shall receive.

Job done!

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive.

Job done!
    Donald, please, for Christmas can I have a Nikon D8 with the 10-1800mm f1.4 lens? I've been good all year!
    Last edited by The Blue Boy; 25th June 2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Added smilies like a four year old:)

Real Name
    Bruce

Hi, Andre.

You've done such a nice job responding to all the comments. Any interest in updating your original list?

Bruce

Real Name
    Paul

Donald, please, for Christmas can I have a Nikon D8 with the 10-1800mm f1.4 lens? I've been good all year!
    It is a good thing that you are about four because by the time Nikon release the D4s,D4x,D5 ...................................... you may get a D8 for the Christmas following your 19th birthday if you can stay good all through your teens. Don't worry about a zoom lens you will have so many pixels to play with you will be able to crop to whatever you like.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by brucehughw View Post
    Any interest in updating your original list?
    Hi Bruce,

I will be working on that.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

So I'll add to the list; Put the stuff... IN THE BAG!
    Hi Mark,

Me not wanting to take photographs anymore but rather start capturing images led me to compiling this list. Looking at your Flickr account I have reason to believe you know exactly what I am talking about.

Mark the main reason for the list is not to remind anybody to do proper preparation before going on a shoot. Preparation will vary greatly from photographer to photographer depending on the camera and tipe of photography.
    I am assuming the photographer has done proper preparation and is on site and ready to do some shooting. How do you go about capturing images and not merely taking pictures? It has been bothering me for some time as to what the difference is between taking pictures and capturing images. In an attempt to solve my own problem I realized there are thousands of others out there who would like to know why some “photographers” capture those amazing “WOW” images and some simply take pictures.

The list is very much from the perspective of doing nature, wildlife and landscape photography. It might also apply to other tipes of photography. Not only will it apply to DSLR photography but also to P&S users. Looking at the most amazing sunset with your P&S camera in hand and having it set to daylight shadow mode will not render the image any ware near what the photographer wishes to capture. That is what made me think, how do you avoid such disappointments?
    The list is a basic guideline to “newbies” in photography as to what to look out for before you press the shutter button. What would I tell a “newbie” how to approach capturing an image and not merely take a snapshot?

Mark I might have called this thread “Approaching The Shot – A Repertoire”. I am trying to find a simple solution to making those “stupid” mistakes of shooting with the wrong WB, the wrong Aperture setting, to high an ISO setting, shooting “Vivid” whilst the camera should have been set to “Natural” etc., etc. We all make those mistakes and it can be avoided if the correct “repertoire” is practiced again and again. It should be second nature to follow a “repertoire” before taking the shot.
    This is an attempt to compile such a repertoire so nobody will shoot a beautiful dessert flower in midday sun at ISO 6400 again. Or shoot a magnificent sunset at a shutter speed of 1/640 with a wide open aperture. How about capturing your grandchild’s first steps with a shutter speed set at 1/30s. How about capturing the bride coming down the isle with flash whilst the WB is still set to “incandescent” and you forgot to change the quality from Jpg basic to RAW. OOOPS. And that lamp post growing out of your wife’s head. The stainless steel hand rail running trough your daughters eye line. DAMN!

You understand?

Thanks Mark.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Busy reviewing and re-compiling a more comprehensive list.

Hope to be ready soon.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

REVISED and updated:

Photographers Repertoire:

Preparation:

A. Batteries charged – battery charger packed with electric cord.
    B. Spare batteries.
    C. Memory cards cleared and formatted.
    D. Camera body/s and all attachments.
    E. Lenses.
    F. Filters.
    G. Flash – lighting - props.
    H. Tripod / monopod.
    I. Protective gear – if needed.
    J. Cleaning equipment.
    K. All packed and ready to go!

Get to your location SAFELY! ALWAYS KEEP SAFETY IN MIND! DO NOT TAKE CHANCES!

1. Look:
    Look at the scene before you and identify a subject.

2. See the subject:
    When you see a subject you note the colour, the lines, the shape, the light falling on it, the texture, shadows, patterns, contrast, the mood, the picture.
    Looking away from your subject you can visualise it in your mind.

3. Assess:
    Once you have seen your subject you need to make an assessment of the possibility of capturing an image.
    There is no sense in trying to capture a swooping Fish Eagle, one hundred meters away from you, with a P&S camera.
    Equipment: Does your equipment allow you to capture the image?
    Light: Does the light allow you to shoot handheld or will you need a tripod?
    Exposure: Will you be able to attain the desired exposure?
    Focal length: At what focal length will you be shooting?
    Flare: Will there be light falling on the lens causing flare?
    Dynamic Range: Will some areas in the image be over or underexposed?
    Glare: Do you need to compensate for glare?
    Reflections: Are there any reflections in the image?
    Distractions: Are there any distracting objects you do not want in the image?

4. Set up camera:
    Lens: Fit the appropriate lens.
    Filter: Fit the appropriate filter for the desired effect.
    Check menu: Make sure in what mode the camera is. RESET MENU.
    Set up (Colour – Contrast etc.)
    Check buttons: Exposure compensation, Bracketing, ISO, WB, Quality (RAW or JPG), Drive mode, Focus mode. Touch each button and check!
    MEMORY CARD: REMEMBER!!!!

5. Visualise:
    Look at the scene and visualise what you would like your viewer to see in the image.
    Focal Point: What is the focal point in the image.
    DOF Control: Can you enhance your subject by using DOF control.
    Background: Is the background going to be distracting or will the background form part of the image.
    Motion: Do you want motion to be depicted in the image or do you want everything in the image to be frozen.
    Composition: In #2 you have already seen the subject you wish to capture. In seeing the subject some of the guidelines for good composition will be motivation for capturing the image.
    All you need to do now is to place your main subject in such a position in the image that is most appealing to you. Applying the “Rule of Thirds” in placing the main subject will almost always lead to capturing an appealing image.

6. Camera on - lens cap off:

7. Expose:
    Set correct exposure: Make sure exposure is set correctly for the main subject.
    Viewfinder Display: Look at the viewfinder display for the correct Exposure. Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO.

8. Frame:
    Frame the image: Look trough the viewfinder and frame what you composed in your mind.
    Check frame: Check frame edges as to what is included.
    Make sure no unwanted distractions are included in the frame.
    Make sure the background is cleared of all unwanted objects.
    Camera level: Make sure you keep your horizon level.

9. Focus: Keep the focal point sharp in focus.

10. Shoot: Capture the image you visualised.

11. Review: Make sure you captured what you visualised. If it is not what you imagined, adjust settings and go back to #7.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast