Thread: Dust Spots on Images - Help

Real Name
    Anita

Dust Spots on Images - Help

Does anyone ever need to clean dust off their sensor? If so, how do do do it? I used my camera's sensor cleaning function but the dust particles remain. Thanks very much in advance for any helpful pointers.

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Dust Spots on Images - Help

There are a few threads on this website going over the choices and reasons of many of the members here. Do a search for sensor cleaning and you'll find a couple of hours of reading. There are also lots of videos on youtube showing you how to do the cleaning if you must. The usual routine is to hold the camera lens side down and try blowing it out with a puffer. Further to that you will need to get into wiping the sensor with the proper tools. First off try determine if the obstructions are oil or dust and pick the appropriate cleaner. Dust will look exactly like you think it would, oil (usually from the shutter) will look like tapioca. A solid round center with a halo around it. Chemical cleaning is really quite easy. If you are like me you'll go a bit too easy on the first few tries and go through more wipes than you need so buy a few extras. Watch some videos and give it a try. Don't get rough and you'll find out just how easy it is.

Real Name
    Greg

Hi Anita, this video might give you an idea of what is involved.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pesZUj78S6s

Real Name
    Anita

Thanks very much. I should have thought to search the website. The videos are a big help.

Real Name
    Kathy

NEVER use canned air on a sensor. Really. Unless you want wet gunk all over the inside of your camera chamber. This is why a bulb blower (rocketblower) is a wonderful thing.

Actually, I prefer this video. All the dry methods (Arctic Butterfly, lenspen, dustaid) in one and a demonstration of how to properly use a bulb blower as well.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    NEVER use canned air on a sensor. Really. Unless you want wet gunk all over the inside of your camera chamber. This is why a bulb blower (rocketblower) is a wonderful thing.
    Yes, I wondered about that Kathy. Apart from the risk of freezing the camera, or blowing some chemical contaminants in there, I wondered just how much pressure the sensor can take. The few video demonstrations I have seen all stress being gentle with it, and not applying too much pressure with your fingers etc.

Real Name
    Anita

Thanks for the warning about canned air Kathy. I searched our website and read every posting on this subject. I hadn't realized sensor dust problems have been addressed ad nauseum. I understand now what factors can contribute to dust getting on a sensor filter, and some are just going to be darn hard to prevent. However, there are some ideas I got from the Forum posts that I am eager to try and may help. I'm glad the knowledge and tools are there for dealing with this.