Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Empty Playground

Real Name
    Bruce

Empty Playground

I am not real pleased with this photo; however I thought I throw the pic out there and see what comments I received.
    I was trying to convey this empty playground, as to use a better word, forlorn
    C&C most welcomed. Bruce:

Empty Playground

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Empty Playground

For me there is too much empty space Bruce. An entire third of the center, top and bottom don't contribute to the overall picture or the theme you want to show. There's no line for the eyes to follow and my eyes are looking for balance but just keep bouncing from side to side to the equipment. Nothing to anchor on. Perhaps just a different angle would help. For the 'empty playground' my first suggestion would be to get in close slightly off line of swings and show them all idle. Possibly one moving and not in line with the rest. Just the seats and a few feet of chain. Other options are looking up one of the slides, weeds or long grass around the stairs, shooting through the empty tube to pick up the slide on the far side. You picked a tough theme for this park.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Looks forlorn enough for me. Only 6billion more to go.
    That third that andrew mentioned. You might have even given it more. Space is good. Maybe lots of sky wit the horizon low, or the other way around with the emptiness of the foreground. Make us search for things. That's why it looks forlorn. It's empty and neglected and a bit lost in space.
    Last edited by tomdinning; 20th June 2013 at 02:40 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Thanks Andrew, and Tom for your comments. I believe the concept was good; however I lacked on the execution.

Bruce

Hi,
    First at all the sky is too small.So File>New>Blank File,with its width bigger than of the original and the color mode as that of the sky.Than with clone tool it fills the sky with clouds.This movements is critical so clone tool must a soft one and the opacity not more than 60%. After that it clones out the bricks from the foreground.Then Create a new layer with blending mode to Color dodge and with erase tool at 10% opacity it walks over the grass and trees as your taste s says.It will obtain something like that.Thanks.

Empty Playground

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

You are trying to convey emptiness, but the scene is just too busy for that to work. The sky is busy with puffy clouds, the trees make for a busy background and of course there is lots of (empty) playground equipment.

A single empty seat on the swing with perhaps an out of focus background might convey the emptiness a bit better. Try to keep it simple.

Real Name
    Philip

Perhaps, Bruce, you might try a different angle on your shot by cropping the right hand side. E.g. -

Empty Playground

Philip

Real Name
    Bruce

Thank you all for your comments, and suggestions.

Bruce