Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Choice of Zoom Lenses

Choice of Zoom Lenses

Could anyone kindly advise-I am considering to invest in a zoom lense...At present i have a choice of sigma70-300 or a Samsung xenon 50-200 they are both suitable for my GX10 but am unsure of sigma quality. sigma is more affordble! please advise>

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Re: Choice of Lenses.

My experience is that a good sigma lens can be excellent, but that there are sometimes issues with quality control from the factory, leading to quite a bit of variability in performance even for the same lens model. No experience with the other lens from Samsung though. Just make sure that whoever you purchase them from has a good return policy and it's hard to go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoooom View Post
    Could anyone kindly advise-I am considering to invest in a zoom lense...At present i have a choice of sigma70-300 or a Samsung xenon 50-200 they are both suitable for my GX10 but am unsure of sigma quality. sigma is more affordble! please advise>
    Hi.. I've got a Nikon D40. I got rid off its kit lens (18-55mm) and invested within months in 3 Sigmas :
    - I began with a nice all-around and quite fast Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5
    - Then I had the opportunity to buy a second-hand fast and fanstatic Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 constant (very great bokeh and I like the color rendition)
    - At last I decided to discover photography with a fixed lens, Sigma 30mm F1.4 hugely impressive for its bokeh and now it stays most of the time on my D40.
    All three are very good lenses to my own point of view, at affordable prices, and so far I had 3000 photos whitout any trouble (may be you heard about all the fuss concerning front/rear focusing with sigmas lenses...).
    I began numeric photography in March, but you can find some material (photos from Paris where I do live) on my picasaweb url : http://picasaweb.google.com/pierre.ortuno
    Best regards Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Ortuno View Post
    Hi.. I've got a Nikon D40. I got rid off its kit lens (18-55mm) and invested within months in 3 Sigmas :
    - I began with a nice all-around and quite fast Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5
    - Then I had the opportunity to buy a second-hand fast and fanstatic Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 constant (very great bokeh and I like the color rendition)
    - At last I decided to discover photography with a fixed lens, Sigma 30mm F1.4 hugely impressive for its bokeh and now it stays most of the time on my D40.
    All three are very good lenses to my own point of view, at affordable prices, and so far I had 3000 photos whitout any trouble (may be you heard about all the fuss concerning front/rear focusing with sigmas lenses...).
    I began numeric photography in March, but you can find some material (photos from Paris where I do live) on my picasaweb url : http://picasaweb.google.com/pierre.ortuno
    Best regards Pierre
    Pierre, thankyou. Your pics on your web are great!