Thread: Trying out the 50mm+12mm extension tube

Real Name
    Terri

Trying out the 50mm+12mm extension tube

Went out in the early morning for a wildflower walk with my 50mm lens + 12mm extension tube. Used a tripod and magnified live view with manual focusing. I was paying particular attention to:

1. choosing a flower that was a healthy specimen
    2. having a pleasing background
    3. choosing a focus point in the middle of my desired DOF
    4. choosing a pleasing angle/composition
    5. making sure all three channels of the histogram were not being blown

I believe I succeeded in all those points although in all but the last shot I did not achieve the desired DOF. At least I know how to fix that. So I'm looking for feedback as to whether you think I achieved my goals and a few other items below that are specific to each photo. Any other C&C is always welcome.

* This crop of this photo is as shot with the petals touching the edge intentional. The placement of the background flowers was very intentional.
    * It seemed to have a green cast so I added some magenta (as I learned from Steve in my last post). Does the color look right?
    * I intended the blur of the top petals but I did not intend for the tip of the center to be out of focus.

* I love the way this flower was formed and the position seemed graceful but I did fail on the DOF.
    * I'm also worried about the color on this one. (Thanks Steve. Now I'm paranoid )
    * Cropped for aspect ratio mainly to get rid of a couple of bright spots in the background.

* Again, slightly off on the DOF with the front petals being out.
    * I like the background except for the stray grass just to the right of the stem. If the DOF was right or I had the new clone tools in the LR5 upgrade, I'd take care of that.
    * Crop is as shot

#4 Saved the best IMHO for last. I actually love this one so don't burst my bubble! Just kidding. I can take it... Cropped for aspect ratio only.

Real Name
    randy

Re: Trying out the 50mm+12mm extension tube

Well done Terri! I too struggle with the dreaded DoF.

Real Name
    Steve

A little cyan...........green.............and blue....................

Real Name
    Debbie

They're all wonderful, I think you achieved your goals, be very proud. I ♥ number 3. I love the contrast of the purple and green and then the dark spikes in the middle, its very exciting and lively.
    Debbie

Real Name
    Matthew

Great work, Terri. Thanks for listing out the details in your explanation, pointing out the key things you were paying attention to and your goals. Your methodical approach paid off. I prefer the last two shots most of all.

For me, #3 has good DOF, although you mention you wanted the foreground petals in the DOF, I don't see them as an issue. I wouldn't have noticed it had you not mentioned it. In fact, I would take a softer bg in place of the extra DOF. I think you could have gone wider on the aperture IMO, as the front petals are not critical. Just my opinion.

#4 is superb. It has it all. Love it. One thing, again IMHO, the composition balance is off for me. Too much space on the left side.

Nicely done!

Real Name
    Grahame

Terri,

I would say you have got the DOF on all just fine. I think at times we try too hard to get too much in focus when it just isn't necessary.

There are times when the subject is made more prominent by blurring the BG at the cost of losing a bit of sharpness at its extremities.

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks Randy and Debbie for your comments. Much appreciated!

Matt & Grahame, thank you too for your comments and suggestions. A little further discussion on the DOF... The reason I called the DOF in the first 3 photos a failure is because I did not achieve what I intended. I agree with what you both have pointed out about them. DOF can be an artistic choice and I especially think #2 & #3 are really fine as shot. But I might argue that, as much as anything can be "wrong" in art, #1 is wrong. In this composition, I just can't accept the middle of the flower being out of focus.

Real Name
    Terri

Steve, how do you spot the colors? (that's really a rhetorical question) But really, I really would like to find some exercises to hone that skill. I've always struggled with color. In my fiber arts, I'm the one with color charts and formulas and exact measurements of dyes while my friends are just pouring different colors together and achieving beautiful things!

Anyway, thanks for the hints on what you did. Not giving me the exact instruction made me play around more with the tonal controls. I've always used that control on the composite RGB and not on the individual colors so this is making me branch out.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post

A little further discussion on the DOF... The reason I called the DOF in the first 3 photos a failure is because I did not achieve what I intended. I agree with what you both have pointed out about them. DOF can be an artistic choice and I especially think #2 & #3 are really fine as shot. But I might argue that, as much as anything can be "wrong" in art, #1 is wrong. In this composition, I just can't accept the middle of the flower being out of focus.
    HI Terri,

Your self-critique is concise, incisive and very objective.

Like they say in the martial arts, when the student becomes aware of deficiencies in her technique/art and then, can go on to correct them, she is on the way to mastering her martial arts.

Real Name
    Terri

Thank you, Victor.