Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: South Pier, Gigha #4

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

South Pier, Gigha #4

I know, I know. I haven't posted #1, #2 or #3. But they are on my own website.

From time-to-time we have discussions on here about the notion of 'narrative' or a 'story' in our images. And we usually have varying views about the usefulness and/or desirability of this as an idea.

Anyway, when I'm in a new place (as I was a couple of weeks ago on the island of Gigha), I find myself, almost unconsciously, really working to see and make images that I feel will tell a story of the place in which I am.

I'm interested in whether this image does that for you. The island of Gigha is situated on the west coast of Scotland.

South Pier, Gigha #4
    Canon 40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 11mm. ISO200. 1/750s @f8

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: South Pier, Gigha #4

Nice photo Donald. I also like the sense of depth in this pic.

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Perhaps not surprisingly, it doesn't tell me much about where you are Donald but the link between the fishing nets, an obviously well maintained pier and the sea, does speak about what sort of place it is. So it succeeds. The strong feeling of recession also makes it a good image aesthetically. Well seen and good work

Real Name
    Sergio

Donald, it does for me. It tells me a story of the place, the people, how they live, and to an extent what kind of people they are. I also get a sense of tranquility and isolation.

Very well done.

Sergio

Real Name
    Greg

Good photo Donald. It does piece together a narrative and raise questions for me. There is a stone wall and a wooden pier, and the nets are stowed behind the stone wall. I can see a truck at the end of the pier and... is that some kind of vessel moored on the seaward side of the pier? I assume the truck is used to take material to and from the boats, so there must be some reason for leaving the nets behind the stone wall. The length and height of the pier suggests there are large tidal movments and/or a lot of bad weather, so it probably is probably safer to leave equipment behind the stone wall.