Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: so, i went to the park

Real Name
    Slavko

so, i went to the park

Hi
    so, i went to park and took few photos
    i would appreciate if you could tell me what u think of every photo, since i am rather new to photography and i could use as much help as posible.
    Thank you for your time :P

so, i went to the park

so, i went to the park

so, i went to the park

so, i went to the park

so, i went to the park

again thank you for your time and patience
    Last edited by Kako; 17th June 2013 at 03:54 PM.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Re: so, i went to the park

#1 reminds me of better times.
    What's going with #3? Bit of an optical allusion there. Or is that the way fences are built where you come from.
    As with your spelling, Kako, your photography will irove with time. Pay attention to how others might do this sort of shooting and see what you can learn from them. Get your head around the workings of your camera and learn lots about exposure control. Maybe do a course or two and go shooting with people for whom you hold in high esteem with their photographs.
    As for these shots, they are a start. Take the camera for a walk in the park as often as you can, at different times of the day, with different ideas in your head. Experiment a lot. Be prudent and patient. Have an objective in mind, like 'trees' or 'shadows' or people relaxing, or 'using the small end of the focal range', or 'use manual mode'.
    It's always difficult to make constructive criticism on photos with out some guidelines from the photographer as to what they are working on. These are perfectly acceptable shots of a walk in the park. You tell us what you would like them to look like and we might be able to help.

Real Name
    Slavko

#3 the back of it is wall(or remains of a wall), it zig-zages right behind the tree forming, what i think is, interesting change in color and texture in the wall.
    well i was mainly messing with composition. Since i am new to this i am not sure what my photos can look like, let alone what i want them to look like, and i personaly dont know anyone that is good in photography that will give me some guidlines. and i you could help me with some tips regararthing that, that would help me A LOT
    Again thanks for your time

Real Name
    randy

For my two pence, I recommend that you begin with the tutorials on this site. They really are very informative. As for your set, #2 and #4 lack a point of interest and are confusing to my eye. #1 needs more information, as I am uncertain what it is that you are trying to convey. #3 and #5 are getting there, but the blown sky doesn't work for me; I find that shooting early in the morning will result in more saturated colors or invest in a circular polarizing filter for nice blue skies. Try to stick to the rule of thirds with landscapes. Using #5 as an example, there is too much sky dominating the scene and the tree is too close to the edge. Moving closer to the subject, lowering the angles, and positioning the tree more to the left would yield a much better composition. We all have travelled the same path to improve our skills, do not become discouraged.

Real Name
    Slavko

So i tried to explain to myself what i did and why i did it, so ill try to convey it.
    #1 i dont know what I like about this photo (maybe that its geometric or something, not sure), but it feels... balanced? same goes for #3
    #2 I thought that woman in the middle would be strong focus point (thats my whole idea behind that pic, just woman that is reading)
    #4 weill it is a bit chaotic, all of the benches are diferent, faceing random stuff and chaotic in general, so that was something i wanted to show there i guess
    #5 there is something sad in the way that old man is standing. And i feel like if the sky was bluer or more interesting that it would shift the balance of the image pulling away from the main theme (man and 2 trees) and since the sky isnt as detailed i feel like i can put more of it in to lighten the pohoto or something like that
    this is all IMO. Thank you for all of CC

Real Name
    Paul

Those low-hanging branches at the top of the frame in shot #3 are a real distraction... Crop the top edge juuuust enough to remove them and you have a pretty interesting shot there.

Real Name
    Slavko

Thanks
    when i have something like that do you think i should crop it or just photoshop it out.. i mean the bacground is just light blue it shouldnt be noticed. right?

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kako View Post
    Thanks
    when i have something like that do you think i should crop it or just photoshop it out.. i mean the bacground is just light blue it shouldnt be noticed. right?
    I am not sure I understand your question but I will do my best to answer...

The best solution in my opinion is to learn to look at the shot in the viewfinder and remove distracting elements before taking the shot. That's a skill and it takes time to really develop an eye for seeing things like that in the viewfinder. I make it a habit to really scan the whooole frame before taking the shot.

Then of course there are those times when a shot simply can't be cropped correctly in-camera and you are then forced to fall back on Photoshop, or some other tool, to crop the shot. Nothing wrong with that. I just prefer to minimize post processing as much as possible.

In shot #3 I think the blue sky makes a pleasing background. The low hanging branches simply have no place in the shot and draw my eye away from the rest of the shot. Here's what I am talking about:

so, i went to the park

Real Name
    Slavko

so, i went to the park
    note the amout of sky in mine and your pic..
    anyway now that i look at it it doesnt rlly make that much of a diference