Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gitzo center column replacement (with Markin's or other base, need help)

Real Name
    Matthew

Gitzo center column replacement (with Markin's or other base, need help)

After deciding on a Gitzo GT2541 tripod (thanks to the help from others on this thread) I now need to find a way to replace the center column on that tripod with a shorter/wider base. I will be using a Wimberly GH200 (and a RRS ballhead at times) and I don't want to mount them on the Gitzo center column. First of all, I never use center columns, second of all they must be removed for ground level shooting, third of all they add extra weight, fourth of all they reduce stability and vibration reduction, and.. well you get the idea.

Even when the center column is removed and set up in the "ground set" configuration, the base for mounting is still too narrow and tall for my liking. I was looking at a Markin's TB-21 replacement base for the Gitzo GT2541, however I just realized that the TB-21 has no locking screws with would allow me to "secure" the tripod heads onto the base. All there is is the center stud. I don't like the idea of having a Wimberly gimbal with a 500mm lens rotating around, with no locking screws to prevent the gimbal from twisting loose. Does anyone know if there is a replacement base for the Gitzo that has locking screws? There apparently used to be a Kirk base that had them, but it looks to not be available anymore (the one that fit my tripod; there is another one available but it doesn't fit)

I suspect I might be SOL on this, but any help would be appreciated.

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Re: Gitzo center column replacement (with Markin's or other base, need help)

Try consulting Really Right Stuff, there might be a solution.

Real Name
    Matthew

Thank you for the suggestion!

Real Name
    Matthew

Quick update, I got the GT2541 and I don't think the legs will work, so I may not need to get the replacement base. Am now looking at other tripods which come by default without center columns, particularly Really Right Stuff and beefier Gitzo models such as GT3542LS. Besides being closer to what I think I want/need, these tripods appear to have a grub screw to lock the tripod head on like I was wanting.