Thread: luninosity vs brightness C&C aways!

Real Name
    Gretchen

luninosity vs brightness C&C aways!

Hey all! When I was last here (Dec/Jan) I was working to understand lighting as it relates to photography vs painting. I read up and have been bending my brain to the challenge. Do you think these final productions work? What would you adjust in PP if they were your photos?

#1-You have to guess what it is:
    luninosity vs brightness  C&C aways!

#2-Also a mystery:
    luninosity vs brightness  C&C aways!

As always, thanks for the input!
    Gretchen

Real Name
    Terri

Re: luninosity vs brightness C&C aways!

Gretchen, these are lovely images although I know nothing about this type of photography. I really like the symmetry you achieved in the second one. I'm guessing the first is onion and the second, some type of cabbage...

Real Name
    Gretchen

First one is a cross-section of a leek. The second is red-cabbage --layered in PSE.

I was playing around and put a slice of potato over my hand-held light, then put the leek pieces on the potato. The potato diffused the light rather well, I thought anyway. I then masked-out the background in PSE and replaced it with just black. I had a hard time deciding if the "bright areas" were too bright.

My husband (the cook) calls it food pr0n. He heaves a big sigh when I start setting up my lights on the end of the kitchen counter while he is cooking. LOL

Thanks for your thoughts.

Real Name
    John

I think the highlights in the first are a little too blown but as artistic images, these definitely work.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    I think the highlights in the first are a little too blown but as artistic images, these definitely work.
    Thanks John, I agree. It was a tough call on PSE when I was working it. I could probably sharpen it a little more as well. Does anyone ever look at a shot they've done weeks or months later and not see things the might want to change?

I appreciate your imput!

Real Name
    John

It's the best way Gretchen. When I first started photography back in ...... (you don't want to know when) an acquaintance who at that time was vice principal of Photography at the local college said " when you make an image, live with it for a couple of weeks before you decide whether it's right". I've always found that to be good advice and rarely do I find that there aren't changes that I want to make.

Real Name
    John

I've seen, and even tried a few, attempts at this type of imagery but usually done on a flatbed scanner. Your images are far superior to anything I've seen done using a scanner.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Thanks John, it's all trial and error in PSE.