Thread: Columbines

Real Name
    Carolyn

Columbines

Columbines
    Columbines
    Columbines
    Columbines

I think perhaps I have made these images too sharp- I noticed they seemed too over-cooked when I uploaded.

Aquilegia- coluumbines. I just love these flowers, even though they have a tendency to over-do themselves in the garden.

I am not an experienced photographer, just like to try to take a decent one to record and interpret the world around me, and to create funky effects from time to time.

Carolyn

Nikon D70s
    Last edited by Bunty Plumchip; 14th June 2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add camera data

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Columbines

Hi Carolyn

They are indeed beautiful flowers. Your first and third captures stand out for me, very nice. You may be right about over-sharpening. I think I can see some halos around the edges of some of the flowers - number three for example.

Dave

Real Name
    Gretchen

Carolyn,

OOH, I love the loops and curls of these flowers --very interesting to the eye. I think the last one is the only one that really seems "over-cooked" to me. I have a lot of trouble with the bright pinks/red colors especially in flowers. It's a constant challenge. The colors seem to multiply and run off the screen into my eyes. No matter how I try to adjust them them in PP, I end up with a mess. I've practically given up. The only thing I've found is to make a copy layer, then make that layer black and white--then to reduce the opacity of the b&w to at least 50% and then combine the two laters.

It seems to lessen the intensity of the bright pink/red without washing out the rest of the colors that may be there.

I think #3 is my favorite. I am drawn to the translucency of the petals and the visual changes that occur as they are layered within the flower. I like the halos on the items in the background.

Thanks for posting!
    Gretchen
    Last edited by ggt; 14th June 2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: adding comment

Real Name
    Carolyn

Thanks Gretchen and Dave.
    I never realised that the flowers were called Columbines (or that aquilegia means 'eagle claw ') because of the appearance of the petals from that angle are like little doves. (or eagle's claw). To me they are the essence of a Midsmmer Night's Dream- I can just imagine how people woul dsee fairies in them
    I am having a totally different adjustment to photographs at the moment because I have jusut started wit 'monovision ' toric contact lenses, where one eye is set for distance and the other for near and middle distance, so I am having to judge the focussing through the camera lens by feel more or less, especially on the manually focussed macro shots. The system works really well for me in general all round vision, it is just figuring out which eye to put the camera to. I had the issuue with reds in peonies last year- I shall try again this year and hopefully get it better.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Carolyn. I enjoyed viewing your columbines. Very pretty.

Some day you may want to try using a flash. You should be able to darken the backgrounds by changing the exposure and then letting the flash light up the flowers. My two cents worth...

Real Name
    Carolyn

Thanks Ken- That explains something I wanted to know how to do in words on one syllable I can understand. As soon as the wind drops a bit am off to try it in the garden.
    That was really helpful and much appreciated.