Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fast flowing stream

Real Name
    Harry

Fast flowing stream

Hi all, one of my first shots with my new Canon 10-22mm lens - taken a couple of weeks ago at Fitzroy Falls in the Southern Highlands of NSW - a number of Waterfalls in this National Park with this stream feeding one of them - also added a shot of one of the falls - a foggy day made for tricky shooting conditions as light was constantly changing - c & c welcome - best viewed at full size
    1. Fast flowing stream

2. Fast flowing stream

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Fast flowing stream

Very lovely, both. I think you did well with the fog. Two questions:

The greens are different, and more appealing in #2 - a color temperature thing?

Also, I noticed, in recent initial forays into long exposures of moving water that the color of the water changes, and to the extent that there is some sediment in the water, the color of the water is changed to a muddier one by longer exposures. I wonder whether this was the case for you in #1, or was my experience not generally the case?

Nice looking at these - pretty country.

Real Name
    Harry

The greens are different, and more appealing in #2 - a color temperature thing? Quote

Thanks Mark, appreciate you looking an commenting. No, 2 could be partly colour temperature but from my recollection of the day I put it mostly down to the changing conditions. We were there for a few hrs, it went from dark and raining to misty/ foggy and then sunny, these pics were about an hour or so apart from memory.

Also, I noticed, in recent initial forays into long exposures of moving water that the color of the water changes, and to the extent that there is some sediment in the water, the color of the water is changed to a muddier one by longer exposures. I wonder whether this was the case for you in #1, or was my experience not generally the case? Quote

Again in this case I think it was the light and also the fact the water here was quite shallow with lots of rocks etc under it, I have done other long exposures and they seem to be all different but I would be interested to hear others experience

Nice looking at these - pretty country.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment, much appreciated, I will try and post a few more from the day, the National park where these were taken is extremely large, we are keen to go back when the weather improves

Regards

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Harry.

I like shots like you took. The fog gives a special feeling to the images.

The top photo may benefit from a bit of contrast enhancement that would brighten the whites and provide richer greens. I used a simple curves adjustment and I think the image looked a bit better. You may disagree.

In the bottom photo, there is an awful lot of white sky that does not contribute significantly to the image. You might consider cropping most of it out, and then apply a bit of contrast to what remains.

Still, having said that, nice images.

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Hi Harry.

I like shots like you took. The fog gives a special feeling to the images.

The top photo may benefit from a bit of contrast enhancement that would brighten the whites and provide richer greens. I used a simple curves adjustment and I think the image looked a bit better. You may disagree.

In the bottom photo, there is an awful lot of white sky that does not contribute significantly to the image. You might consider cropping most of it out, and then apply a bit of contrast to what remains.

Still, having said that, nice images.
    Thanks Ken - I will give that a try - my PP skills are still limited - something I need to work on,always too busy taking pics,
    Agree with cropping no'2, I usually just like posting unedited images so that i get feedback on the original pic

Cheers