Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Growing Up

Real Name
    Grahame

Growing Up

Tonight's exercise was to capture an image of a very small tomato seedling with a black background. The purpose of the exercise was simply to fill time as I have still not replaced the TV since it failed some 6 months ago and it's raining outside.

The first attempt used two SBR-200s set at different powers attached to the front of the lens and the settings adjusted to get the background (an unlit room) as near to black as I could. A fair amount of dodging and burning was required to achieve the final result. Settings, f32, 1/60s, ISO 200 with two shots stacked to provide greater DOF.

Growing Up

The second attempt was a first trial at light painting using a household torch. The initial guess at f29, 4 secs and a quick brush of each side with the torchlight produced the below image. The only PP was WB correction and sharpening. This attempt was not stacked.

Growing Up

This is certainly a lighting method I will experiment with more when I am looking for that dark even background.

Any comments are certainly welcome.

Grahame

Real Name
    John

Re: Growing Up

An interesting experiment. The lack of focus stacking doesn't seem to have made much difference in the second image and the torch light seems to have produced a more natural green. However, not being able to see the plant itself, I could be wrong.

Real Name
    Greg

An excellent result for a first attempt, Grahame.

Real Name
    Dan

An excellent concept and well executed. Don't bother with the tele. Nothing on any more but rubbish anyway.

Real Name
    Grahame

John,

Thanks for commenting.

The accuracy of the green was not really a concern at the time and I adjusted the second shot in ACR to what I thought it should be but looking at the images now in daylight beside the subject they are both well out. The answer of course would be to use a grey card.

As for the focus stacking I find I often dabble with this because I can but then wonder was it really necessary.

Real Name
    Grahame

Greg,

Thanks, I may be tempted to play with this again tonight.

Real Name
    Grahame

Dan,

You are certainly correct about the TV, fortunately we only had two channels here, both poor, so have become a fan of the radio.