Thread: News Flash: Zeus has moved house!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

News Flash: Zeus has moved house!

I am probably bored and going a bit stir crazy with my wife off on the Wallaby, swanning around somewhere in France and me being housebound with the rotten weather. How else can I excuse/justify/ explain the following piece of nonsense? But the cloud formation did catch my eye as being unusual for this spot.

Today's News Flash: Old Zeus has taken his cloud and left Mount Olympus. He has actually moved to the Tallarook ranges, to a spot which is about 90 cliks North of Melbourne, straight up the Hume Freeway. Not too far from us.

So why did Old Zeus stir his stumps and shift house after all these years? Well apparently he has had it up to here with the Greek economy problems.

And why did he pick a spot so close to Melbourne? Well Melbourne has the third largest urban population of Greek speaking people in the world, which includes Greece. So I guess old Zeus wanted to flee fiscal finagling and yet still be close to his Greek compatriots.

A picture of Zeus's new abode is included. Of course you can't actually see the building. As I said above, he bought the old cloud which used to enshroud his old stomping ground on top of Mount Olympus with him.

So, that's the latest gossip from One Tree Hill.
    Thanks for viewing and hope that at least one person got a smile from this picture story.
    old ucci

Last edited by ucci; 13th June 2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: english correction

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: News Flash: Zeus has moved house!

Did he bring Mrs Zeus and the kids with him?

I'd look to get some more contrast into that picture by pulling in the black & white points to provide a greater range. The histogram has got pretty much everything in the middle area.

I like the layers that are within it, the the layer of treetops right at the bottom to the layer of cloud above the layer that is Mr Zeus's cloud at the top.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Ken,

As Donald suggested: pulling that histogram flatter by increasing highlights and shadows, gives another dimension to the image. When applying a bit of sharpness the rocks on the far hill become more visible.

I think you got a very good eye to see the picture rather than look at a scene. I love those early morning shadows and the warmth the sun brings to clouds.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'd agree with Andre about the sharpening.

Hope you don't mind, Ken (please say so if you do), but best way of illustrating this is by example. So ................

Of course, this may not be scene that you saw before you. Only you can be the judge of what the finished image needs to look like in order to reflect what you saw.

Real Name
    Greg

Nice work, Ken. It seems the whole country is shrouded in fog every morning lately. Probably something to do with 1-K.rudd's climate change. (What a changeable fellow he is: first he is prime minister, then he is not: then he wants to be prime minister again, then he doesn't.... but I digress). I think Donald's pp has really brought your shot to life. The question is, do you want to represent what you saw or do you want to make a photo of what you saw?

Real Name
    Dan

A pleasant, moody image accompanied by interesting commentary. I like the tweaked version.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Donald's conversion is spot on to what I did. Big difference Ken.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Hi Ken, nice composition. Hi Donald, nice finish.

Karm

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thank you all for your helpful posted comments, especially to Donald and Andre. There is no need to apologize gentlemen. The reason I post is to learn and and so to improve. If I am likely to spit the dummy because someone shows me how a post of mine can be improved, then I jolly well should stop posting here as I am posting at this site for the wrong intentions. Thank you all.

Real Name
    Ken

Is this what you thought you saw