Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: effects

Real Name
    colin

effects

I have just upgraded to pse11 from a clunky old pse7 and love it . Looking at the effects panel got me wondering what you folks think of these things. Being new to photography I am not sure if you purists out there would approve of their use.
    Like to hear your views.
    Cheers Colin.

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: effects

Hi Colin,

I still use PSE7 and having looked at the advertising for PSE11 decided not to bother as all it appeared to offer was a 'new look' and a couple of gimmicks I would not use so was interested to hear your comment that you considered the upgrade worth it.

As for 'effects' and their use I can't comment because I have never used any in my work.

Real Name
    Lex

The only problem with using Photoshop effects is that it's usually quite obvious that you used a Photoshop effect. There's nothing wrong with them, but it's difficult to use them in ways that don't make the viewer immediately go "that's Photoshopped." Which probably isn't the initial reaction you're after.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

Since I use PSE 9, I don't know exactly what is on your effects panel. I have a filter gallery which I use to my hearts content. Not all the time, of course. But, I enjoy experimenting and even combining filters to create different looks. But, I am far from a purist. I let rules and such offer guidance but without feeling locked in to any certain way. I have never subscribed to 'Purist's Monthly' so I have no clear idea of what I should be doing or, even, what I will be doing next.