Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Birds Gone - Blossoms Arrive

Real Name
    Suzan J

Birds Gone - Blossoms Arrive

Hello All: It seems that my bird friends have moved on, or are busy with their nests and hatchlings. I have been busy too as I signed up for short photo class in an effort to expand my knowledge and try some new challenges. Here are a couple of flower shots incorporating some new tricks. I am using a relatively new Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro lens which is something different for me. Please assist me with providing some C & C.

DSC_0050 by Soo J, on Flickr

DSC_0101 by Soo J, on Flickr

DSC_0079 by Soo J, on Flickr

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Birds Gone - Blossoms Arrive

I learn looking at these and am not up to knowing how to provide any C&C, but will keep watching this thread to see if anyone can. The problem with flower shots is that so many are pretty, but oddly dull, and stiff. You've overcome this with some real creativity, especially numbers one and three. Whatever the background in number one was, it really helps make the blossom's color a surprise. And the composition and cropping in on #3 are so much better than a shot of the whole blossom could possibly be.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice set. I do like the imaginative use of water in the first.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Thanks for the comments Mark and Bobo. I'm trying to get a handle on the new lens and there is a bit of a learning curve involved. FYI, the flower in the first shot was set against a backdrop of a short wooden fence. I draped a blue pillowcase over it to get a more neutral background.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Probably your best set of photos, Suzan.

Real Name
    james

I dont know how to help... I think these are very good, well above my skill set. I especially like number 3 best.

Real Name
    Dan

Hi, Suzan. I've shot dozens, possibly hundreds of iris photos and have never been truly satisfied with any of them. This one is awesome. Nice job. Not sure what you were trying to accomplish with the first image. IMO it's neither fish nor fowl so to speak. The water doesn't look natural. The bloom itself looks nice. The colors are great in the second shot. If you cropped/cloned a little to eliminate the in-focus leaves at upper right and the border of green along the bottom it would eliminate some distractions.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Thanks Dan for the cropping suggestion. I'm finding that photographing flowers and plants has its own challenges as there is ALWAYS extra stuff floating around the bloom that I want to capture. I will have to pay more attention to preparing the shot by getting rid of the unnecessary distractions. You are right about the first photo not fitting into any category. It was actually a photo class assignment to capture "moving water". Since I was nowhere near any fast moving streams, I improvised by using a watering can. Your opinions are very helpful and appreciated.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan J View Post
    ...I'm finding that photographing flowers and plants has its own challenges...
    One of the amazing things about photography is how much one has to learn about each new subject matter. I concentrated on flowers early on and found it very frustrating. As you said there is always extraneous stuff that you never noticed when taking the shot. And slight changes in angle can make a huge difference. Knowing what one is supposed to do and doing it when you're there at that moment in time aren't always one and the same. For that reason I assure you I'm a much better critic than photographer