Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Problems with Canon SX50 RAW files (.CR2) and PSE 10

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Problems with Canon SX50 RAW files (.CR2) and PSE 10

I have a Canon S100 and a Canon SX50. Both cameras can work with RAW files (CR2 extension). I use Photoshop Elements 10 for post-processing S100 RAW files, but when I try to process SX50 files, I receive the folowing message
    "Cannot open 'C:\.......\IMG_0xyz.CR2' because it is the wrong type of file."
    What is happening? Somebody can help me? Someone have any hint to solve the problem?
    Antonio.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Problems with Canon SX50 RAW files (.CR2) and PSE 10

Antonio because the SX50 is a fairly new camera, I think you'll find that it is not supported in the version of Adobe Camera Raw that you have with Elements 10. Unfortunately I don't think you'll get an update for it that does support the SX50 either. A way around it is to download the latest version of Adobe's free DNG converter which should support the SX50. Use the DNG converter to convert your .cr2 file to a .dng file and then Elements should be able to open the .dng file.

The other option is to do your initial raw processing in Canon's DPP which you would have got with your camera.

Dave

Real Name
    Allan Short

Antonio: open elements 10 and have it do an update to see if there are any new updates. As LR5 came out to-day, I got an notice from Adobe, of an update for my Adobe RAW (CS6) converter. It is worth a try, could you please come back if that works.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Antonio because the SX50 is a fairly new camera, I think you'll find that it is not supported in the version of Adobe Camera Raw that you have with Elements 10. Unfortunately I don't think you'll get an update for it that does support the SX50 either. A way around it is to download the latest version of Adobe's free DNG converter which should support the SX50. Use the DNG converter to convert your .cr2 file to a .dng file and then Elements should be able to open the .dng file.

The other option is to do your initial raw processing in Canon's DPP which you would have got with your camera.

Dave
    Dave,
    Thank you very much for your suggestion.
    I downloaded the DNG converter and I converted a CR2 file to a DNG file. Then I Post Processed with Elements 10 (Camera Raw 6.7). I would like to have your opinion about my first RAW photo posted in CiC (please click here What a impressive look! ... like an owl! (my first trial using RAW)).

I was learning to use Digital Photo Professional (from Canon) that seems to be very good and now I don't know which is better (DPP or Camera Raw) . What do you think about it?

All the best,

Antonio.
    Last edited by Panama Hat & Camera; 30th June 2013 at 09:48 PM.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Antonio: open elements 10 and have it do an update to see if there are any new updates. As LR5 came out to-day, I got an notice from Adobe, of an update for my Adobe RAW (CS6) converter. It is worth a try, could you please come back if that works.

Cheers:

Allan
    Allan,
    I tried to get an update to Elements 10, but Adobe didn't release an update. I downloaded the DNG converter and I'm converting CR2 to a DNG files.

I was learning to use Digital Photo Professional (DPP from Canon) that seems to be very good and now I am in doubt which is better (DPP or Camera Raw, from Elements). I posted my first photo with RAW PP (DNG converter + Camera Raw) (please see What a impressive look! ... like an owl! (my first trial using RAW), comments are always welcomed) and I verified that it is much better than PP with jpg.

Cheers,

Antonio.

Real Name
    Greg

FWIW Antonio, I am still on PS CS3, and that doesn't read my Canon RAW files either. Rather than convert to DNG, I have found DPP does a pretty good job of processing files in its own version of ACR. I then convert the file to TIF and open in CS3 for any further work. But the canon collection of software isn't bad. DPP, ZB, PSE all seem to work together fairly well. It is worth reading the manuals (which I have only done recently, 12 months after purchasing my 600D) and viewing the online tutorials if you haven't already done so. As Canon say, who knows more about a camera's files than the maker?
    http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galle...utorials.shtml

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Hat View Post
    Dave,
    Thank you very much for your suggestion.
    I downloaded the DNG converter and I converted a CR2 file to a DNG file. Then I Post Processed with Elements 10 (Camera Raw 6.7). I would like to have your opinion about my first RAW photo posted in CiC (please click here What a impressive look! ... like an owl! (my first trial using RAW)).

I was learning to use Digital Photo Professional (from Canon) that seems to be very good and now I don't know which is better (DPP or Camera Raw) . What do you think about it?

All the best,

Antonio.
    Hi Antonio

I had a look at your owl shot and, like the others that responded to that post, I think you did a good job with the processing on that shot.

I think that both DPP and ACR will do a good job with raw processing for you. It's probably more a case of which one you are more comfortable with. I'd probably go with ACR because the workflow is a bit simpler. After you've finished in ACR, you just hit "Open" and the image is opened up in PSE ready for further processing. With DPP, I think you have to save the file as a TIFF before you can open it in PSE (although I'm not certain about that as I haven't used PSE for some time).

Dave