Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Elk and Raptors

Real Name
    Bryan

Elk and Raptors

While visiting a local wolf sanctuary to try to setup a shoot, I decided to stop by two other sanctuaries in the area. Our local Wild Bird Sanctuary support the rehabilitation of all types of birds, especially raptors. Those who cannot survive in the wild, i.e. lost eye sight or other loses, become support for the education of the publics. This includes several types of eagles, hawks, and owls (many not local to my area, but confiscated from poachers passing through).

We also have a rather large county park, with a large fishing lake, and plenty of spots to enjoy nature and picnic. This open park also happens to have herds of Bison and Elk roaming freely :-o

So the adventure begins with practice taking photos of birds in flight. Should be piece of cake, given I can predict where they are going during the education demonstration. Except that they seem to be trained to hit the man with the camera ... yep three solid contacts and several close fly by's (note that they were not attacking, and for all I know I could have been on their blind side.)
    Tawny Eagle (Max)Elk and Raptors

Barn Owl (Goblin)
    Elk and Raptors
    Elk and Raptors

Then off to the Lone Elk Park. It's a one way path, not too wide, curvy, with several 30+ degree incline climbs. The whole time, driving slowly, I am rubber-necking, looking all over for elk or bison. The bison were in the back 40, they advise not approaching the herd and I wasn't in the adventurous mood (so no photos).

I did happen to round a curve, while looking out my window (left side) driving slowly (only really a crawl), when I looked back across my jeep (whose windows were down because it was warm), I saw this .... (like any good photographer, I grabbed my camera and took a shot)
    Elk and Raptors

He seemed mostly curious, not agitated. So I circled around for another go ...
    Elk and Raptors

All in all a fun Saturday. As always C&C welcome.

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Re: Elk and Raptors

1, 3, and 5 are great images. I would have loved to have seen the birds without the stairways and such in the background but they are without a doubt great images.

Real Name
    John

Very nice series.

Real Name
    Grahame

No 1 is a superb capture.

Real Name
    John

No. 1 for me a well. Focus is on just the right spot.

Real Name
    Bobo

Good captures all but #1 is outstanding. The building distractions are a bummer though.

One reason for my pick of 1 over the elk portraits was you skill in getting him sharp head on. Something I have been practicing for a long time but never quite get it.

Real Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Good captures all but #1 is outstanding. The building distractions are a bummer though.

One reason for my pick of 1 over the elk portraits was you skill in getting him sharp head on. Something I have been practicing for a long time but never quite get it.
    Lol, thanks all. Actually #1 was my least favorite. I feel so backwards in my tastes sometimes. Like I said, it was intended practice, there flight path was very predictable -- so the images should be better. As far as #1 head on, I'll take credit for not dropping my camera since he was flying right at me ;-) (no worries, just a full grown eagle with razor sharp talons of death). I guess I could like #1, I just wish I had catch lights in the eyes, they seem so empty.

Real Name
    Bryan

Here are a couple of stills from the Bird Sanctuary the same day ...

Crane
    Elk and Raptors

Golden Eagle
    Elk and Raptors

Here's the Tawny Eagle (#1 from above)
    Elk and Raptors

Real Name
    Bryan

Visited again this last weekend and caught a few shots of some Bison.

Elk and Raptors

And a Bison with calf
    Elk and Raptors

And I couldn't pass up the raptors.

Tawny Eagle named Max. He is an education bird.
    He has a large personality and would occasionally bark at the staff and certain visitors. Lucky for me he seemed to like photographers -- can you tell?
    Elk and Raptors

Elk and Raptors