Thread: And now for the latestt on how not to do it... but I did it anyway...oh well...

Real Name
    Ken Outch

And now for the latestt on how not to do it... but I did it anyway...oh well...

Walked out the back door and saw this looking out over the valley and down on Seymour. It was late dusk. It was extremely cold and a heavy mist was settling. Sub zero temps were forecast for overnight with the promise of a heavy morning frost; most unusual here in winter.So the conditions were unusual. And as for the colours, the 'blue cast'? WYSIWYG, they were actually so. That is why I went for the camera. Have to admit that I probably was a bit too late with the light in 1912. But it was an experiment to see how the capture would turn out.

And for those like me who like to have a story conjured up by a picture, please read on. The rest of you can switch off and go back to enjoying your toast and marmalade. .....
    "I was late dusk on a very cold night with a heavy mist beginning to form as we made our way home The street lights provided almost a magical glow as the residents of this sleepy little town were nestled in the comfort of their beds dreaming of apple pie and cream "

All of a sudden a howl, the likes of which had never been heard before, pierced the night and woke even those in the deepest of slumbers

And that's about it from me; far more than enough! Thanks for viewing and any comments posted. As I said with the time of night and the conditions it was a bit of a first time, suck it and see, job.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: And now for the latestt on how not to do it... but I did it anyway...oh well...

Ken - something to remember about human night vision is that when things get dark out, we see mostly in black & white. I seem to remember reading that 95% - 97% of our visual sensors are rods, which only discriminate light and dark. The other 3 - 5% of the sensors are cones, that give us colour vision; and these don't do low light very well.

Our cameras, on the other hand only have one type of sensor and in low light, we crank up the ISO level (or shoot with a tripod), so we get a night view that does not match our colour vision. We get all kinds of mixed light situations; but our brain makes these look normal as we don't tend to notice the colour casts. We also get sensor noise, and that is something we tend to dislike in our images.

Night shots give us some really intersting views of the world, but it's hard to say they are truly what we saw.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Re: And now for the latestt on how not to do it... but I did it anyway...oh well...

Hi Ken. Really like your 2nd image.

karm

Real Name
    Bobo

2 for me too. The lights look like fireflys.