Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Storm over Santa Monica

Storm over Santa Monica

Captured at Santa Monica, California as our weekend storm rolled in (actually made land fall on Monday). More rain coming tomorrow, so we'll see what other opportunities present themselves.

Storm over Santa Monica

Re: Storm over Santa Monica

I think this is a very strong image with almost perfect composition: the diagonal lines and curve splits the frame that lead people's views to the sky. The cloud effect was due to a long exposure I guess. I am wondering why don't post a color version of this image, I would be interested to see its color version.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

This one doesn't 'light my fire' in the same way as some of the others recently posted. That's nothing to do with the technical competence or the inspiration that led to the opportunity being seen. Just a matter of my taste. The lighting and the tones are wonderful. A superb conversion.

I suppose I just find, what for me are, the tensions between straight lines, curves, circles, etc, all a bit busy.

Good comments, Yan. The cloud effect is pretty much as shot. This is actually a 5 frame HDR (IIRC), with successive exposures of which the slowest was 1/50 sec. The clouds were moving, but not quickly enough for their motion to be noticeable from one frame to the next (I checked to make sure). It really was that dramatic -- amazing what the artist in the sky paints for us sometimes!

About that color version, it was pretty dull after the HDR conversion. I suppose I could pump it up, but my visualization here was for a B&W image from the point I shot the 5-frame sequence, so for me the color version holds little appeal. I've also learned to avoid posting color vs. B&W versions side-by-side, as often the B&W version gets short-changed due (I believe) to the mere fact that we're used to seeing our world in color.

Donald - Yes, there's a lot going on at this locale and it's always been hard for me to simplify. Since I didn't want this image to be so much about the icon (the pier), but about the sky, my original approach was to render the pier as an outline, but I found the large shadow areas too large and a detractor from the overall image. I think I'm with you that this one doesn't ring my bell as much as some of my recent posts.

Real Name
    Steve

eNo, i really like this one. Your black and white conversion is awesome. Great shot.

Quote Originally Posted by eNo View Post

About that color version, it was pretty dull after the HDR conversion. I suppose I could pump it up, but my visualization here was for a B&W image from the point I shot the 5-frame sequence, so for me the color version holds little appeal. I've also learned to avoid posting color vs. B&W versions side-by-side, as often the B&W version gets short-changed due (I believe) to the mere fact that we're used to seeing our world in color.
    Hi eNo,

I think if you intend to shot in B&W, then it makes sense not to post color version here. I was once told by a photography judge that don't try to simply change a color shot into a B&W version. To take B&W photographs, should use those techniques suited for B&W. I have little knowledge about B&W photography, but many B&W photos indeed look very extraordinaire.