Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Face-off

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Face-off

Comments welcomed.

Face-off

Karm

Real Name
    Mary

Re: Face-off

Interesting- I like the grain. The only thing I would change would be the "star" pattern on the left lady's sunglasses. I find my eye drawn to it.--mary

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Karm,

Very innovative B & W .

Real Name
    Robert

Hi Karm, a very interesting photograph. I know the black and white grainy look was intentional and works with the look on the gals faces. It probably would pop on a black frame. A very "artsy" photo, thanks for sharing it. ....Bob

Real Name
    Christina

I like it... It's a photo that tells a story, or two or three.

Thanks Christina.

karm

Thanks Robert. I tried different finishes on this image. The grainy look appealed to me most. It just seemed to go with the image.

karm

Thanks Victor for looking and commenting.

karm

Hi Mary. I understand your concern. For me it fits into the image even if it has a bit too much draw power. I like small disruptive things in my images. It makes the gal wearing these sun glasses unique and different than her counterpart.

karm

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Thanks John.

karm

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is the sort of image that I can't appreciate, though I do appreciate that it seems to be exactly what the photographer had in mind. Well done!

Real Name
    Shane

Karm;

I like this image and almost feel as if I am eavesdropping on the conversation between these two. Good eye!

This image and the use of grain as an artistic element brings me to a question that I have been pondering personally for a bit and a subject that I would be interested to hear your thoughts on. To be clear at the start, this is not a critique of your use on grain in this image.

I too have been playing with grain lately but have struggled with the uniformity of the grain when it is added to an image in PP. It seems that when I have an image where the addition of grain would add to the 'grittiness' (pardon the pun) of a scene the uniformity of the grain does just the opposite.

So that frustration has led me to play with textures as well as grain but with a whole different set of frustrations - mostly along the lines of finding the right texture for the right image in the end I think.

Have you used or even attempted to use texture rather than grain in any of your work? If, so do you have a preference of one over the other? Do you feel as if grain is more 'authentic' to the photographic medium? So many thoughts running through my head but I will leave it there as see where the conversations goes...

As an aside, while writing this I have had a creative flash and am off to play in Photoshop with an idea along this vein...

Hi Shane. I hope your "creative flash" turns into a creative image. The word "texture" has different meanings. You tell me your definition of texture and then we can have a conversation. For me, "grittiness" is a singular expression of texture.

One thing I can tell from your post is that you take an objective stance toward photography. I mostly take a subjective approach. I develop a picture according to my tastes. This makes life easier for me.

karm