Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Interactive learning

Interactive learning

Hi there,

I would like to ask your advice. I am quite new to photography. While I have owned an DSLR for quite some time now and made fair pictures with it, it is still more trial and error.

Now I am actually investingating some online photography courses. I have found for example http://www.photographyicon.com/ and http://www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk/ but these are very expensive and you essentially just get a book and the possiblity to send in assignments for critique.

I am aware that buying a book and getting critique here or on similar websites is much cheaper.
    However since I am a true beginnner and really don't know how and where to start a sort of hand-held guide is appealing.

So now I am looking at http://www.proudphotography.com/ which is actually quite cheap. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or do you have any other recommendations for a good step-by-step learning method/book/resource? The most important thing is that I get to do specific practical assignments to start learning.

Thank you very much!

Michiel

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Interactive learning

Michiel,
    My experience has led me to believe a forum like this is a very good place to learn a lot. Asking questions and getting different replies will teach you a lot.
    You sometimes have to be thick skinned like a Rhino but you will learn.

Enjoy it here at CiC and be very active if you wish to learn.

Real Name
    John

It would be a great idea if these online courses allowed you to audit for a week or two or even provide free of charge one or two lessons. That way you could get a better idea of the structure of the class and see if it meets your expectations.

Real Name
    John

Michiel, my experience is that apart from sites like this, if you have a local photographic club, it will be a good place to learn from the more experienced members, more fun and less expensive.

Hello Michiel,

I'm Peter and I work for Proud Photography. I hope I'm not breaking any rules here (admins let me know) when I say that I'd like to give you our course for free as a gift. No strings attached. Please contact me via PM with your email and I'll send you your student login info.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I have not looked at the links you provided.
    People learn in many different ways and desire various outcomes.

My advice is that you need to clearly articulate:
    • the outcomes that you require
    • your BEST learning methods
    • what you are prepared to commit – in time, effort and also money

And then re-ask the quetion.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 10th June 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Real Name
    Blake

Hi Michiel,

I don't know how to link to a thread but I asked the same question last year and got some great info.It was posted on 13 Oct 2012 titled "Online photography schools"? I think it was in the community lounge forum.

Blake

Real Name
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by blakeshinn View Post
    Hi Michiel,

I don't know how to link to a thread but I asked the same question last year and got some great info.It was posted on 13 Oct 2012 titled "Online photography schools"? I think it was in the community lounge forum.

Blake
    I think I figured it out. Here is a link to the thread.

Online photography "schools"?

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Like they said, there's a lot of very informative info you'll get here on CiC from experienced gurus.
    There's Colin, Bill, Manfred, Dave, Richard and so many others here. Another plus here is they'll answer your specific questions - whether Nikon or Canon and other cameras. ( unlike some forums where, instead of giving your photos critique, they just ramble on about their own life-story/travels/cameras/pix/likes-dislikes/subtle ads/etc.)

Here on CiC, the latest cool thread was about Histograms. Really learned a lot from that.
    Histowhatagrams?

However, if on-line courses are your thing, the best is the Kelbytraining.com.

They are affordable, yet quality instruction. Not like some sites that are quite expensive, some even tie you up for a year or so.

HTH
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 8th June 2013 at 10:04 PM.

Thank you for all the replies. They are really helpfull. I should start checking out this forum more. I am also looking for good books to read. Those combined with questions here would probably work well I think.
    I also checked out Kelbytraining and it does look good. But I think they only have videos to watch. There is no interactivity or support there.

Thanks again!