Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedestrians

Real Name
    tom dinning

Pedestrians

I love sitting in the gutter and watching the passing parade.
    Pedestrians

Real Name
    Griddi

Re: Pedestrians

Quote Originally Posted by tomdinning View Post
    I love sitting in the gutter and watching the passing parade.
    Pedestrians
    Stay there........

Griddi........

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    Stay there........

Griddi........
    Join me.......

Tom......

Real Name
    Griddi

Join me.......

Tom......
    God forbid.......

Griddi........

Real Name
    Shane

I like this concept a lot Tom and find that this image is quite interesting and dynamic. I think further exploration of this is definitely in order as I like the sense of movement that you captured but think that the woman on the left edge is very dark and draws the eye away from the other folks in the 'parade'. I'm also not convinced that the angle of presentation is quite right.

Go hang out in the gutter some more and show us more if you would...In fact I'm thinking I might join you and explore a bit myself

Real Name
    tom dinning

God forbid.......

Griddi........
    Relax, Griddi, there's no god where I live.
    How have you been? Must have been nice without me.
    I'll try to be polite. Really!

Real Name
    Griddi

Relax, Griddi, there's no god where I live.
    How have you been? Must have been nice without me.
    I'll try to be polite. Really!

Real Name
    Griddi

Tom, perhaps when you look, you will find God in Darwin.......

Yes, I had a relaxed time without you, but if you promise to be polite, this would be nice, one thing leads to the other, and I would be kind towards you too......

Griddi.....

Real Name
    tom dinning

Tom, perhaps when you look, you will find God in Darwin.......

Yes, I had a relaxed time without you, but if you promise to be polite, this would be nice, one thing leads to the other, and I would be kind towards you too......

Griddi.....
    Consider it done, Griddi.
    As for the god thing, I'll pass.
    Just a difference of opinion on our part, wouldn't you say?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Another interesting piece Tom. You certainly convey movement with your shot and your timing was superb, catching the feet when they were lined up so nicely. Getting the alignment of people walking in both directions must have been quite challenging.

I think that the Dutch tilt also works really well, as it gives the shot a much more edgy and uncomfortable feel to it. I also like the balance you achieved; an upper triangle of people walking and a lower one of pavement.

I don't know if I like the shot or not; I keep vacillating on it; but regardless it is a master class example in composition and technique. Well done!

Real Name
    Richard

I don't usually like shots cropped at an arbitrary angle but, this one works for me quite well...

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I don't usually like shots cropped at an arbitrary angle but, this one works for me quite well...
    'When I told my Old MAn that I didn't like something or other he would always respond with "up until now".
    He taught me to cherish our ability to change our mind about anything at all.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Here are some more pedestrains.

Pedestrians
    movement-1 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Pedestrians
    movement-2 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Pedestrians
    _D3S1204 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Pedestrians
    _DSC8393 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Pedestrians
    DSC_2420 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Real Name
    Griddi

Tom, I like D3S1204, the motive and also because the photo is in black / white, which from my point of view goes well with street / people photo's.....

DSC8393 is IMO to dark, and not even, the foothpath is sloping.......

Griddi.......

Real Name
    tom dinning

Tom, I like D3S1204, the motive and also because the photo is in black / white, which from my point of view goes well with street / people photo's.....

DSC8393 is IMO to dark, and not even, the foothpath is sloping.......

Griddi.......
    Thanks Griddi. There is value in sitting in the gutter. You'll be happy to know the girls were handing out free Jim Beam and I refused it.

There is every opportunity to have a photo tilting one way or the other. Sometimes it's caused by perspective sift with the lens or PoV, other times it is used as a design element to shift emphasis or provide some dynamic balance. It can provide a sense of urgency and restlessness to a scene. This framing technique is used often in street scenes like this. In this case it was to provide a sense of casualness, as though I was leaning against a wall and just pointed the camera in a casual manner so I wouldn't be noticed by the passer by, or at least not look too suspicious. I'm a very shift looking character at times. I'm sure you would cross the street if you saw me coming.
    Give the tilt a go from time to time. It doesn't always appeal to everyone but its fun playing with it and making new discoveries.
    After all, there's no rules in photography except the ones we make for ourselves.

Cheers
    Tom

Real Name
    Griddi

[QUOTE=tomdinning;316218]Thanks Griddi. There is value in sitting in the gutter. You'll be happy to know the girls were handing out free Jim Beam and I refused it.

There is every opportunity to have a photo tilting one way or the other. Sometimes it's caused by perspective sift with the lens or PoV, other times it is used as a design element to shift emphasis or provide some dynamic balance. It can provide a sense of urgency and restlessness to a scene. This framing technique is used often in street scenes like this. In this case it was to provide a sense of casualness, as though I was leaning against a wall and just pointed the camera in a casual manner so I wouldn't be noticed by the passer by, or at least not look too suspicious. I'm a very shift looking character at times. I'm sure you would cross the street if you saw me coming.
    Give the tilt a go from time to time. It doesn't always appeal to everyone but its fun playing with it and making new discoveries.
    After all, there's no rules in photography except the ones we make for ourselves.

Cheers

Tom, You have sort of a point there regarding the framing for street scences, I for myself try not to much noticed from passers by, as one can be in all sort of trouble, but I like to take street photos, and I am sure I would not cross the road if I see a shifty character, because I am sort of on the lookout for something which looks a bit different, here are just 3 photo's of mine, although nothing special, just for fun.......

Greetings,
    Griddi......

Pedestrians

Pedestrians

Pedestrians

Real Name
    tom dinning

Fun is the best reason, Griddi.
    There's a bit going on in that first one. It seems the woman about to take a chop stick full is having a conversation with the woman at the adjacent table for some reason. May she is being warned that someone is lurking with a camera. The bloke at the table is trying to get a moments peace in among the gabble, there's a bit of negotiating going on inside and the bloke in the street is deciding if he should go in and risk a bout of botulism. And finally the lotto bloke has caught my eye and is tempting me with the millions. That little bit of tilt has added to your dynamics, enough to demonstrate you did this on the run. Fine work.

I hope you told the young fella to get his feet off the seat. That's an offense I think. Looks like a western suburbs train, maybe to Liverpool or Blacktown. Cover your back, Griddi. It's a war zone out there.

That last character is definitely worth the trouble,of asking for a shot. He doesn't look that old. Wonder what his story is? Did you ask?
    I enjoyed those.
    Thanks
    Tom

Real Name
    Greg

The girl in the middle shot looks she is about to flick her head and disappear the guy opposite in the beanie.

Real Name
    Griddi

Fun is the best reason, Griddi.
    There's a bit going on in that first one. It seems the woman about to take a chop stick full is having a conversation with the woman at the adjacent table for some reason. May she is being warned that someone is lurking with a camera. The bloke at the table is trying to get a moments peace in among the gabble, there's a bit of negotiating going on inside and the bloke in the street is deciding if he should go in and risk a bout of botulism. And finally the lotto bloke has caught my eye and is tempting me with the millions. That little bit of tilt has added to your dynamics, enough to demonstrate you did this on the run. Fine work.

I hope you told the young fella to get his feet off the seat. That's an offense I think. Looks like a western suburbs train, maybe to Liverpool or Blacktown. Cover your back, Griddi. It's a war zone out there.

That last character is definitely worth the trouble,of asking for a shot. He doesn't look that old. Wonder what his story is? Did you ask?
    I enjoyed those.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Thanks Tom.......

The train photo was taken from the suburb where I live to Adelaide, as for the " feet on the seats " one finds this is done all the time, even sometimes from older persons, no use to tell them off, as one will get mostly abuse for it......

Yes, I asked the character if I could take a photo of him, to which he happy agreed, although I said, that he don't pose for the photo......
    I did not ask for his story, perhaps I should, I took the photo at the Adelaider Market, quite often one find interesting people there, so perhaps if I see him again, I may ask......

I often ask for permission to take a photo, but most people, when they agree, take up a pose, and the photo turns out different what I had in mind, and I will delete it ..........

Greetings,
    Griddi........

Real Name
    Griddi

Another thing, as I am female, and no spring chicken anymore, sitting in the gutter to take photo's will mostly not work out for me, as people would think i had a fall etc.

I was sort of laying flat on my tummy on a medium strip in Alice Springs, to take a photo of a Dessert Pea flower, and in no time I had people around me, asking if I am O.K.?
    Very kind of them of course.........

Griddi.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast