Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Your Slugs

Real Name
    Bruce

Post Your Slugs

I took these photos a week or so ago of what I believe is a banana slug. Since we have a "Post Your Insects" thread I thought it was time for a slug thread.

The photos were taken on a forest trail near the Kinsol Trestle on Vancouver Island. I'm hoping to post some photos of this very large former train trestle in the near future.

This first photo was taken at 1/125, f8, IOS 800 with a Canon 18-200 zoom at 200mm.
    Post Your Slugs

The second photo is included simply to give a sense of scale:
    Post Your Slugs

The head of the slug is in better focus on the second photo. I've wondered whether I can surgically switch heads but have yet to try that type of editing.

All C&C welcome.

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Post Your Slugs

Very interesting! I think I can see what look like little eyes on the top of the slugs antennae, in the 2nd photo... Are they eyes?

I wonder if you placed the slug up on a leaf and photographed from above, or from the front or side - if it would help to get the focus from head to tail?

I expect that slugs are a bit of a challenge to photograph because of their slimy texture?

Real Name
    Dora B

slugs are a bit of a challenge to photograph because of their slimy texture
    Mine is the opposite, still a slug- I think
    Post Your Slugs

Homeless

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Very interesting! I think I can see what look like little eyes on the top of the slugs antennae, in the 2nd photo... Are they eyes?
    Not being an expert on slug anatomy, I found helpful information on a webpage for a US university. And yes, the upper pair of tentacles are optical. The lower pair are sensory for feeling food.

Despite the different size of the two images I posted, the original RAW images have almost identically sized versions of the slug. In your editing work, have you tried cutting and pasting to put something together? Although the slugs are definitely not attractive, these photos might be straight forward examples on which to try a head transplant. Then I'd have a slug entirely in focus.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by dulceza View Post
    Mine is the opposite, still a slug- I think
    Post Your Slugs

Homeless
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with a slug photo! Yours is much more attractive than mine.

I've never seen anything like your critter. It has all the parts of a slug but presumably does not live on the west coast?

Real Name
    Dora B

does not live on the west coast
    Presumably not on the east coast either.
    It's a picture taken in France 2 years ago, I've never seen this type here in Canada.
    thanks for viewing

Real Name
    Bobo

Interesting. I have never yet photographed one. Will try to find and post.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Bruce,
    Thank you for looking that up. Interesting stuff.

No my editing work is pretty basic, as are my editing skills. I think it would be a lot easier to photograph the slug again.

I remember seeing slugs around but I have not seen one in years. When I do I will give this a try and post. Not sure if it is the season for slugs...

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Not being an expert on slug anatomy, I found helpful information on a webpage for a US university. And yes, the upper pair of tentacles are optical. The lower pair are sensory for feeling food.

Despite the different size of the two images I posted, the original RAW images have almost identically sized versions of the slug. In your editing work, have you tried cutting and pasting to put something together? Although the slugs are definitely not attractive, these photos might be straight forward examples on which to try a head transplant. Then I'd have a slug entirely in focus.
    PS Dora, that is a pretty slug...

Real Name
    James Edwards

Hi Bruce, I have never photographed a Slug before....Birds .... Animals ....... Fish ..... Insects So here goes... I turned a brick in the garden earlier today Yellow Slug, (Limax Flavus).... Havn't seen any but Black Slugs in years, though these re quite common, just don't have a lot of interest in Garden plants.limax-flavus_mg_4503.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Dora B

Nice colours James. I identified my slug as : The European red slug, Arion rufus with wrinkled skin
    Will try to find
    Bobo that's easy, just check your veg patch , the wet weather help them multiply like there's no tomorrow
    Thanks Christina

Real Name
    Christina

James... Beautiful colours and light, great detail and focus. It looks translucent.

Real Name
    Bruce

James, a nice photo.

Reading about slugs, I've learned that they're usually nocturnal. This may explain why they tend to be found under stones, etc. when humans go looking for them during the daytime.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Bruce, Dora - I will start turning things over.

Regarding surgery - there is another way other then cut and paste. Assuming photoshop - one both images, copy one onto the other (it will become a new layer), select both layers, in Edit menu select auto-align layers. In the top layer create a mask and just brush in the head (or body). You could try auto-blend layers and it might get it right too.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Regarding surgery - there is another way other then cut and paste. Assuming photoshop - one both images, copy one onto the other (it will become a new layer), select both layers, in Edit menu select auto-align layers. In the top layer create a mask and just brush in the head (or body). You could try auto-blend layers and it might get it right too.
    Bobo, thank you for the advice. I've still an awful lot to learn in Photoshop but will see if I can make your suggestion work.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Christina, Bruce, thanks. He/she, (I believe they are hermaphrodite)was rather startled by the sudden bright sunshine. I did return it to leaf mould nearby after I got a few shots. The translucence I think is due to a bright reflectance from the 'skin' back through the slime that naturally coats the slug.

Think I might try to get a good shot of Wood Lice next, my 'little boy' has been stirred. I haven't poked around under stones for years

Real Name
    Christina

Bruce, here are my slugs, which I found incredibly difficult to photograph but I promised I'd do so, so take them as they are. I think I did a good job of blurring the background... until later...

Post Your Slugs

Post Your Slugs

Post Your Slugs
    Last edited by Brownbear; 21st August 2013 at 02:47 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Christina, this set of shots has raised the bar for slug photographers. I'll look forward to your next contribution!

Real Name
    James Edwards

Christina, excellent series, you have got some fine detail of the beast's skirt, and I have to admit, if I'd been caught by my wife bringing a slug indoors, I'd be sleeping in the woods that night (with the slug!)

She kind of tolerates spiders, bugs and moths though

Real Name
    Paul Matthews

This is an awesome idea for a subject. I will hopefully have a contribution later on today. It also should help keep my daughter interested in finding other bugs

Real Name
    Christina

Bruce, it's very nice to know my slug shots are appreciated... I actually think Jame's photo of the actual slug is the best of the bunch on this thread because he captured focus and detail in the entire slug... So the next time I find a slug I plan to capture Jame's detail with my blurry background, hopefully in action.

James. Thank you. Luckily my husband puts up with my eccentricities, and he will even help me find critters. Spiders, bugs and moths are far prettier then slugs and if your wife puts up with the latter in the house, you are fortunate.

Paul, let it be known that Bruce started this thread... I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast