Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cliff Fen

Real Name
    randy

Cliff Fen

Today I visited a neat little spot in the Minnesota River bottoms. Cliff fen is a calcareous fen formed by water which percolates through calcitic soils and resurfaces in the river bottom forming boggy areas with very high pH. These areas are quite rare and are home to plants and animals that are equally rare. I came to see the Bell's Vireo that nest here and although I heard and caught brief glimpses, I came up with Butkus.

Other birds were more cooperative

Cliff Fen

I was rather pleased with this composition, although my focus could have been better

Cliff Fen

I am uncertain if I was watching this Least Flycatcher or if it was watching me

The problem with going birding with a group of birdwatchers.....is that a group tends to scare the birds away!!!!
    I switched to the long neglected macro and shot a few flowers

Cliff Fen
    Golden Alexander

Cliff Fen
    Hairy Rockcress

Cliff Fen
    Yellow Stargrass

For the longest time I have wanted to have a shoot-off between my 90mm macro and my 400mm telephoto......really.......I don't know where it comes from

Can tell which is which?

Cliff Fen

Cliff Fen

These last two shots were of endangered Little White Ladyslipper

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Cliff Fen

A nice collection of photos. I'll be daring and say that the last photo is the one you used the telephoto on. I changed my answer while typing this, so I really haven't too much of a clue!