Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: walking the edge

Real Name
    Steve

walking the edge

I shot this today, in the afternoon(not the best light). I wasn't paying attention and was a little shy on my shutter speed and it came out a little on the soft side. I really like the colors and composition though...........................do you think the softness hurts the image that much? This was shot with a canon 35 f/1.4L..............and yes i was that close.

walking the edge

Real Name
    David

Re: walking the edge

Steve - No I don't think softness hurts the image. Everything appears to have worked fine.The composition with its frame within a frame is great, the balance of colours for the season is spot on. Great shot.

David

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

...do you think the softness hurts the image that much?
    Steve

NO!. I'm with David on this one.

I think you've captured a wonderful sense of calmness and peacefulness (and that animal wouldn't be that close to you if you weren't calm and peaceful as well). Definitely a feeling of you, nature and the environment in harmony. I do like it.
    Last edited by Donald; 7th December 2009 at 03:59 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks guys , i appreciate the input. Not use to a lens without IS .

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

I note the shutter speed was 1/50s, so even without IS, it complied with the 1/(FF eq FL) rule of thumb - although I appreciate that doesn't guarantee a sharp shot.

Can I be an absolute swine?

I think the subject does look a bit soft, well, softer than the trees.

It is possible the deer 'twitched', however, I think you may be able to improve things with slightly different sharpening regime.

Looking at the picture, I think you sharpened with too high a threshold because the higher contrast edges (tree branches, etc.) are reasonably well defined, but anything with lower contrast (leaves, etc.) looks distinctly 'mushy', including the poor old deer.

At iso160, I wouldn't have thought you'd need so high a threshold to avoid sharpening noise.

Also, (I did say I was going to be an absolute swine, didn't I?), I am 'troubled' by the foreground branch top right; it is very prominent and sharper and more contrasty than the subject. I would be tempted to blur it significantly and reduce the contrast by toning down the bright top edge.

If you want to really mess with reality; taking a clone brush to the end of it might be an idea, it currently points out of the top of frame - compositionally, wouldn't it be nice if it pointed (at least) slightly towards the deer?

BTW, what is your secret, how can you get that close?
    Were you in a hide?
    Or are you a deer too?

Seriously though, I hope that reads as constructive help and not bashing a lovely image.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Steve,

I note the shutter speed was 1/50s, so even without IS, it complied with the 1/(FF eq FL) rule of thumb - although I appreciate that doesn't guarantee a sharp shot.

Can I be an absolute swine?

I think the subject does look a bit soft, well, softer than the trees.

It is possible the deer 'twitched', however, I think you may be able to improve things with slightly different sharpening regime.

Looking at the picture, I think you sharpened with too high a threshold because the higher contrast edges (tree branches, etc.) are reasonably well defined, but anything with lower contrast (leaves, etc.) looks distinctly 'mushy', including the poor old deer.

At iso160, I wouldn't have thought you'd need so high a threshold to avoid sharpening noise.

Also, (I did say I was going to be an absolute swine, didn't I?), I am 'troubled' by the foreground branch top right; it is very prominent and sharper and more contrasty than the subject. I would be tempted to blur it significantly and reduce the contrast by toning down the bright top edge.

If you want to really mess with reality; taking a clone brush to the end of it might be an idea, it currently points out of the top of frame - compositionally, wouldn't it be nice if it pointed (at least) slightly towards the deer?

BTW, what is your secret, how can you get that close?
    Were you in a hide?
    Or are you a deer too?

Seriously though, I hope that reads as constructive help and not bashing a lovely image.

Cheers,
    Thanks for your critique dave..................i found out what i did..............dumb azz .............i left the focus drive on alservo from the previous shoot and forgot to change it back. I was wondering why some were sharp as a tack and others were soft .