Thread: Boys and their toys.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Boys and their toys.

Had a wander down to the local building site. Love those big toys.

Boys and their toys.

Boys and their toys.

Boys and their toys.

Boys and their toys.

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Boys and their toys.

Can you buy this at your local home improvement store?
    Nice photos.

Bruce

Real Name
    Terri

I am not the least interested in this subject, but despite that I do really like #2 & #3. In #2 I really like the way the sky and the power lines seem to draw your eye to the subject and down. The perspective in #3 is interesting, making me focus on the operator. I really like the colors in these photos too.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Can you buy this at your local home improvement store?
    Nice photos.

Bruce
    Mitre 10 might have one. I'll buy 2 and send you one.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    I am not the least interested in this subject, but despite that I do really like #2 & #3. In #2 I really like the way the sky and the power lines seem to draw your eye to the subject and down. The perspective in #3 is interesting, making me focus on the operator. I really like the colors in these photos too.
    Thanks, Terri, for passing by and noticing. Christine has the same reaction.
    By the way, all that stuff about drawing the eye and making you do stuff is a whole lot of hogwash. Absolutely no scientific basis for it whatsoever. In fact quite the reverse. One day I'll explain it all to you. Trouble is, it's a sensitive matter. It's like telling the Flat Earth Society the planet is round or telling mothers how to raise their children.

Real Name
    Christina

Surely the most beautiful photos I've ever seen of machinery... I adore the rich colours, all the lines, the drama of the sky.
    #3 is gorgeous...

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by tomdinning View Post
    Thanks, Terri, for passing by and noticing. Christine has the same reaction.
    By the way, all that stuff about drawing the eye and making you do stuff is a whole lot of hogwash. Absolutely no scientific basis for it whatsoever. In fact quite the reverse. One day I'll explain it all to you. Trouble is, it's a sensitive matter. It's like telling the Flat Earth Society the planet is round or telling mothers how to raise their children.
    So I've gone to the trouble to try to figure out and express why I like a photo and you say that I've blindly followed what you think is the malarkey of the masses. OK, fine. Back to: Great series, Tom. #2 & #3 are my picks.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Mitre 10 might have one. I'll buy 2 and send you one.
    If you get one for me make sure it has ISO controls not CAT - a bit like preferring canon or nikon.

I prefer the first and third photographs probably due to the placement of the men. What film did you use? - oops I mean you seem to have adjusted the saturation and tonal range a bit. Whatever the result suits the subject.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Surely the most beautiful photos I've ever seen of machinery... I adore the rich colours, all the lines, the drama of the sky.
    #3 is gorgeous...
    I asked the blokes to get their gear off to add a bit more drama but they wouldn't be in it unless I give them a slab of beer.
    Who was it that said there is beauty in everything, its just some people don't see it?

I'm glad to convert you, Christina

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    So I've gone to the trouble to try to figure out and express why I like a photo and you say that I've blindly followed what you think is the malarkey of the masses. OK, fine. Back to: Great series, Tom. #2 & #3 are my picks.
    What the **** did I say? Geez, Terri. Take it easy on an old bloke. I'm harmless. I could have mentined the weather or what colour I intend on painting the back fence tomorrow but it seems appropriate to talk about photography.
    As reconcilliation let me send you a full res. version and you can print it off and hang it over the mantle piece.

Real Name
    Terri

What the **** did I say? Geez, Terri. Take it easy on an old bloke. I'm harmless. I could have mentined the weather or what colour I intend on painting the back fence tomorrow but it seems appropriate to talk about photography.
    As reconcilliation let me send you a full res. version and you can print it off and hang it over the mantle piece.
    Actually, I look forward to a later discussion on leading lines and such. I often wonder whether we all train ourselves to see what "the pros" tell us we're supposed to see. Like the snobs standing in the art gallery supposing what the artist was trying to say. I asked a similar question in THIS THREAD early in my participation on this forum. And here I am a year later, better trained and more distracted.

So back to your shots. I've looked again. I still like #2 and #3 the best and other than the unique perspectives and lines, I couldn't tell you why they drew me in and the others didn't. But come to think of it, you really didn't ask for opinions, did you?

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Tom,

Sorry to advise that you have not converted me to take photos of machinery, but of course I would give it a whirl to learn something new. I suspect that you are a fabulous photographer who I can learn something from simply because your photos of this tractor are interesting and beautiful (for the rich colours and the sky, and despite the power lines) I'm not sure why but the power lines enhance the photo and look nice instead of like distracting unattractive wires (maybe because of the light on the power lines?). I think these photos are interesting and different and the best way I can think of describing what I see and like is a sense of drama.

Like Terri, I see lines that draw my eye throughout the photo. In #2 I'm drawn to the bottom of that shovel on the machine, up to the top of it. Then I notice the man and the power lines... ie; my eyes want to travel throughout the photo or maybe it is because there are so many things to look at in the photo.

In #3 the first thing I'm drawn to is the sky and the power lines, and then the machine and the man on the left.

So somehow, you made photos of machinery that are interesting, beautiful and dramatic. How does one do that?

I asked the blokes to get their gear off to add a bit more drama but they wouldn't be in it unless I give them a slab of beer.
    Who was it that said there is beauty in everything, its just some people don't see it?

I'm glad to convert you, Christina

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Hi Tom. Nice photographs. Like the way you processed them. My favorite is two. I think four has more potential if you are willing to create a bit of an exploding sky look.

karm

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Tom,

Bet you the only music album you have is Pink Floyd. Very good music, if you understand it. Not quite everybody’s cup of tea but in a weird sense classical.

You cannot dance to the music but you listen to every word of the song and maybe one day you grasp the message it conveys.

See you got me some more power poles there.

Real Name
    mark

That is a little one. One place I hauled out of had one with tracks the height of the back of that one.

Nice shots though! Gives me some ideas!