Sigma 70-300mm at 70mm
    1/1000 - F5.6 - ISO 160 - Full Manual Mode
    WB Manual 4800K
    JPG

The biggest AUSSIE BIRD in SA:

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Re: The biggest AUSSIE BIRD in SA:

Very nice, Andre! I liked the composition a lot and it is a very clear image!

I would just increase the lights in the shadow areas (below the wings and left engines), to bring out a little more details. But it is really good the way it is.

Well done!

Real Name
    Christina

Andre, I must say that I was very much looking forward to seeing the biggest Aussie bird in SA, with much anticipation!

Anyway, that truly is a stunning image of a plane... Looks perfect to me.

Real Name
    Bruce

This photo is a good capture.

Bruce

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Otavio, Christina and Bruce,

Why did I know the birders would have a look? Just a bird, without feathers.
    Thank you for the comments.

Otavio, if I wanted less shadow under the wing I should have taken the shot earlier with the aircraft higher in the air. The late afternoon sun, casting long shadows made the shot what it is and “fixing” shadows in PP is not my style. Your input is appreciated.

Christina, I so wish you to see something in this shot that will benefit you in your birding attempts. The light is what it is all about. There are times of day the light is so crappy you would never get a good shot. This might be my way of practising to shoot BIF. I am very fortunate to have had permission to enter into an area where I could get so close to the landing planes. Birds seem to be flying much faster because they are so much smaller, this seems a good way for me to practise panning. Thanks for the comment.

Bruce I hope you really mean that and you are not saying it just because you are a nice guy. Thanks.

Real Name
    Bobo

It is good. The sharp colours contrast well with the blue skies. But I agree with Otavio that the underside is darker than it should be. Actually with that dark bottom the pic feels like a good candidate for b/w treatment.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Now you know I'm not a nice guy, Andre, so you can take all this with a grain of kangaroo dust.
    Panning is a skill worth developing, especially if you hang long on the shutter speed. One place to practice is in a busy shopping street. Find a seat where you can view the passing parade. Fix you focus at an average distance for people to pass, set your camera on shutter speed priority and use the slowest possible. If you can, find a time of day when the light is low or use a ND filter to get the shutter speed at about 1s. As the people pass, make a corresponding pass with your camera. It's all in the rhythm. You don't even need to look thru the viewfinder. Just sit the camera on your lap and follow the movement of the crowd.
    It's fun, the results are always surprising and you get the hang of panning pretty quick. You'll also get to see the point of panning. It has its own features.
    As for this one, I haven't looked at the exif so no idea what the shutter speed is. If it was slow you have done well. A shot like this wouldn't require much panning if you have used the shutter speed/focal length reciprocal guideline.
    Technically you couldn't get better.
    Interest wise, nothing special except its a Qantas. Probably carrying a heap of Aussies on another drunken holiday. They're a very uncouth lot, those Aussies.
    See, that wasn't too bad, was it. And you can always be assured I mean what I say - except when I don't .
    Cheers
    Tom

PS Just read the shutter speed and focal,length. Not even close. At that sort of figures you could get that shot concreting the camera to a bunker. Live dangerously. Make it hard for yourself. Try this shot at night. Ha!

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Thanks Bobo,
    I am not good at B&W at all. You are most welcome to show me what you mean. Edit any way you wish.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Hi Otavio, Christina and Bruce,

Why did I know the birders would have a look? Just a bird, without feathers.
    Thank you for the comments.

Otavio, if I wanted less shadow under the wing I should have taken the shot earlier with the aircraft higher in the air. The late afternoon sun, casting long shadows made the shot what it is and “fixing” shadows in PP is not my style. Your input is appreciated.

Christina, I so wish you to see something in this shot that will benefit you in your birding attempts. The light is what it is all about. There are times of day the light is so crappy you would never get a good shot. This might be my way of practising to shoot BIF. I am very fortunate to have had permission to enter into an area where I could get so close to the landing planes. Birds seem to be flying much faster because they are so much smaller, this seems a good way for me to practise panning. Thanks for the comment.

Bruce I hope you really mean that and you are not saying it just because you are a nice guy. Thanks.
    Andre, I really meant what I said. As far as being a nice guy that is a whole different story.

Bruce

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by tomdinning View Post
    Live dangerously. Make it hard for yourself. Try this shot at night. Ha!
    Thanks Tom,

I might just be foolish enough to try that!

Your comment is highly regarded and much appreciated.

To give you an idea of the panning – shot at 70mm – no cropping done – plane doing what? Around 170 Knots = about 300Km/H. I will do your panning exercise, as you said, I might just learn something.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Thanks Tom,

I might just be foolish enough to try that!

Your comment is highly regarded and much appreciated.

To give you an idea of the panning – shot at 70mm – no cropping done – plane doing what? Around 170 Knots = about 300Km/H. I will do your panning exercise, as you said, I might just learn something.
    It's the angular velocity you need to worry about with panning. All you need to do is maintain the same angular velocity as the subject. As I said, its all I the rhythm. Have you got rhythm, Andre?

Try this:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/mo...las-d_941.html

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Andre,

With respect to...

Yes, indeed I see plenty in this shot that will help me with my BIF shots.. proper exposure, whites and reds not blown, great focus, beautiful colours, nice and sharp, etc... I am quickly learning that it is best to seek out good light and that I need to get closer.

When I'm out and about photographing birds if a plane flies by I always try a few shots for practice. I look at my camera specs to see what worked or didn't work, to see what I can learn, and then I delete my plane photos, just because I'm not into planes and also because thus far none of my plane shots look like this one.

Real Name
    Dan

Well you suckered me in. Nice shot from a technical standpoint and like the comp as well. Hope to ride one of those birds this fall. Well, fall when we board, spring when we land

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by tomdinning View Post
    As I said, its all I the rhythm.
    You mean like swinging a golf club with perfect timing and velocity!

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    and then I delete my plane photos, just because I'm not into planes
    Christina it is not always “what you are into” that will make you see the light. You might find yourself to be very good at street photography one day. It is all about capturing subjects painted in rays of reflected light.

I am only starting to understand now.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Well, fall when we board, spring when we land
    Guess you can’t go much further north.
    If ever I would be blessed to be in a position to visit Alaska.

Thanks Dan.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Sorry, Andre, this is just my thought and what I would do, IF mine. That does not mean you have to agree with it. Just let it with the dark shadows, if you like it this way.

I really have no problem with what PP can give to make images better/enhanced. It is totally allowed and valid, IMHO.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Otavio; 2nd June 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Otavio View Post
    I really have no problem with what PP can give to make images better/enhanced. It is totally allowed and valid, IMHO.
    Very true Otavio, neither do I have a problem with your suggestion. I am trying to climb the photographic ladder and a goal of mine is to get it as close as to what I possibly can in camera.

I would very much like to learn how to weld before I start grinding – if you know what I mean.

Any suggestion is always welcome, all of us learn something from it.