Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Peony

Real Name
    Mary

Peony

Here's a shot of spring peonies. C&C welcome. Does it have enough detail? Is it flat?
    Peony

Re: Peony

Could you show the whole flower, Mary?

While there isn't really anything 'wrong' with this shot it somehow doesn't get me excited. Although very little does nowadays.

Possibly a little bit of Local Contrast Enhancement, or something similar, to boost the contrast a little?

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Hi Mary
    I'm still waiting for my peonies to come out so it was lovely to see you photo, the detail is great. I would have been tempted to crop to lose some of the green background top left which although blurred still is a distraction for me.

Real Name
    Mary

HI Geoff- Alas the peonies were in a vase ( jar actually) and the background was hideous hence the crop. I know- a flower is a flower been there done that--but I'm trying to learn how to give "depth" and "life" to my images. Also white has been a learning curve also not to blow out. I will try to brush some contrast in and see how that works. Thanks for your help!-mary

Real Name
    Mary

HI Kaye- The background is really hideous if not blurred. I'm sure my neighbors thought me strange to see me moving around the backyard with a vase (jar) of peonies-putting them down, shaking my head, picking them up, moving them,putting them down, repeat, repeat. I'll try again when the next buds open up-thanks for all your suggestions--mary

Real Name
    Mary

Re: Peony #2

I went back and did a different crop.I think it's better--what do you think? Peony

Real Name
    Greg

Oh yes, definitely better, Mary.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Yes, I too prefer the second image. Its almost as if you have a flower sitting in another flower and gives me a white on white feel, which works very well. I tried yellow tulip with yellow background earlier in the spring and was pleased with the result so I think, now you've given me the idea again, I'll try the white on white with peonies (when they come out).

Real Name
    Mary

Thanks for the feedback Greg and Kaye! Looking forward to your attempts kaye--mary