Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: An Artist's Yard

Real Name
    Joanne

An Artist's Yard

Stopped by a neighbour's garage on the way home last night. Don't know anything about cars but a lot of the "stuff" there looked like sculpture to me

C&C always welcome.

j.

dsc_0122.jpg
    ISO 900 50mm f8 1/30

[IMG]https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/attachment.php?
    attachmentid=28065&d=1369914818[/IMG]
    ISO 400 50mm f4.5 1/80

dsc_0135-3.jpg
    ISO 250 50mm f2.8 1/200

dsc_0139.jpg
    ISO 1100 50mm f11 1/30

dsc_0142.jpg
    ISO 1100 50mm f11 1/30

dsc_0133.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boulderwood; 30th May 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: An Artist's Yard

Joanne - I'm not seeing the second image which, based on just the thumbnail which we can see, looks interesting.

Good on you for 'seeing' the possibilities in that load of junk. I always feel I don't have the imagination to 'see' the opportunities from those sorts of scenes.

I'd say the thing you need to keep thinking about ate the backgrounds. Now, when you've got a great big heavy lump of metal, it's not too easy to move it around so that you get a good backdrop. I think the last one (the bike) suffers from having a tree, a roadway, a house all cluttering up the background. In the others, (except that one we can't see at the moment), you have managed to isolate the subject more clearly and not have backgrounds that are fighting with the subject in the same way.

Real Name
    Joanne

Thanks Donald. I think that photo is there now. Not sure what happened.

j.

Real Name
    Greg

Joanne, I like the first and third but I think you could possibly do a lot more with them. When I am lucky enough to come upon this kind of scene I am usually overwhelmed by the visual cornucopia. I tend to take pictures that try to capture everything at once, and then when look at the results on the computer and I find that some tiny little object fascinates me more than the whole image. I should be zooming in to focus on all the little things that make the scene rather than trying to paint the grand picture. So, I try to return to the scene and capture the rust flakes on the metal etc.

Real Name
    Joanne

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I should be zooming in to focus on all the little things that make the scene rather than trying to paint the grand picture. So, I try to return to the scene and capture the rust flakes on the metal etc.
    Thanks. I have been wanting to go back. The "artist" himself was there that visit and I felt I tad inhibited.

Joanne