Thread: Cats-need some general help

Real Name
    Slavko

Cats-need some general help

I have started photographing not long ago, and ive read some of the guides, i understand concept of it somewhat, but what i dont quit get is, what should i eaven ask about my pictures, so i am baisicly asking what, and how can i improve further.

Since i have some cats, and i find them easyer to start shooting than people, people tend to get nervous, and i think i need to know what i am doing 1st before doing anything semi-srious with ppl. Anyway, forget about humans for now, ill study that later, i want to focus on pets(cats) for now

#4Cats-need some general help

so main things i want to know
    1) witch one do you like the most
    2) what do you find good in the pictures
    3) what do you find bad in them and, what should my main attencion be focued at while improveing
    4)anything else that i can find helpful

Thank You for your time and patience.
    Last edited by Kako; 31st May 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Cats-need some general help

Hi Kako,

1. I like # 2 the most because of the composition and focus on the eyes.
    2. unique compositions and trying to capture a mood or action.
    3. Nothing bad, but I think they are just a little bit overexposed, could be a little bit sharper (greater depth of field) and in stronger focus.

Personally I find my own cat very challenging to photograph because whenever I grabbed the camera he moves too close to me, and won't sit still! Black and white cats are very challenging to photograph for the exposure and I think you have done very well.

Real Name
    Slavko

Thanks for your feedback, It really means a LOT!

Real Name
    Christina

My pleasure Kako... You'll soon hear from several photographers who are more experienced and knowledgeable than I.

Real Name
    Bruce

The second photo is my favourite. I agree with the comments Christina gave. I'd also add that one thing that is good in your photos is that your camera was on the same level as the cats' faces. This is usually better than looking downwards at the cat.

My own cat is white and grey. Cat photos can be difficult: either asleep or moving around.

Real Name
    Bruce

Bruce, I could not agree with you more.

Bruce
    Last edited by Digital; 29th May 2013 at 11:55 PM.

Real Name
    Mary

I like #3. They are all pretty good. A little dark. What I find works well with cats is a slow approach- more of a watch and wait and see what happens. Fast shutter speed which sometimes means high ISO. I almost never use flash with cats. Those eyes will turn "demon red" on you( they have special membranes in the back of their eyes that are designed to reflect light-being a nocturnal beast). Bring a box so they can explore and also feel hidden. For my own cats I have window perches at prime locations in the house and so I have lots of sleeping pictures --mary

Real Name
    John

I like the 4th for the expression, implied or imaginary. Try a longer focal length so they aren't paying attention to what you are doing.

Real Name
    Jos

Hi Kako, I like number 1 because it has an unusual composition. I had to look a tiny little longer to see what part of the cat was there. A lesser point is that the depth-of-field is a little too shallow so that the nose is too soft.
    Number 2 is a gem to me, because of the composition: the slope line and the way the cat's head is tilted almost the same, compared to the shape of the eyes. Also I like the firm contrast due to the dark shadows - and no overexposed whites.
    The third photo could be better if the background was even more blurry but the look in the cat's eyes is wonderful. Nice capture!
    How about the fourth one? Well, a yawning cat to me sometimes is like an old man laughing out loud and this one reminds me of that... You did not focus on the eyes this time and I think that is good because I really like the depth-of-field here: it should not be altered because when I see those sharp whiskers and follow the picture to the background, it kind of floats so gently - truly nice! Also the soft light is a little clearer on the nose and brings out the focus. This photo is also well-composed.

You used a long lens to capture the animals, which is good to start with, but also not too easy to focus right, especially when these rascals start to entertain you!
    Hope to see more!

Real Name
    Jos

... oh: and a good approach to photographing animals in general is to take the time to observe how they behave. Thus you can be prepared to their actions and they will get used to your presence. This is also true for photographing children and shy people, by the way! Don't forget to observe through your camera!