Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Crop Help

Real Name
    Roger

Crop Help

I am debating on how to crop this shot where I like it puts the horizon dead center, first photo is un cropped second is where I'm thinking it fits best while keeping the horizon off center. Opinons appreciated feel free to crop and post suggestions.

Non cropped
    Crop Help

Cropped
    Crop Help

Re: Crop Help

Central horizons aren't always bad, Roger, it depends on the balance of items either side of the horizon.

Where you suggest cropping has plenty of 'heaviness' in the bottom half with a 'lighter' area above it; so the scene doesn't look too equal, which produces a better overall composition.

You may be able to crop ever so slightly tighter on the bottom and left side if required.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Very nice image Roger. I like the way the lines of the rocks in the water lead towards the distant cliffs. Colour and exposure are very good too.

I think that the crop you use on this image isn't terribly critical - it'll just give a slightly different look. Your crop is fine, as is the original image. You could even go the other way and crop the original by taking a bit off the sky only which wll give more emphasis to the leading lines of the rock in the water.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Roger,

I also prefer the foreground rock pools to the sky, so I'd go with Dave's idea to take 5% off the sky.

Real Name
    Roger

Thanks Dave for the reply.

Real Name
    Roger

Thanks Geoff

Real Name
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Very nice image Roger. I like the way the lines of the rocks in the water lead towards the distant cliffs. Colour and exposure are very good too.

I think that the crop you use on this image isn't terribly critical - it'll just give a slightly different look. Your crop is fine, as is the original image. You could even go the other way and crop the original by taking a bit off the sky only which wll give more emphasis to the leading lines of the rock in the water.

Dave
    Thanks for the complement and I'll try it cropping the sky.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I just want to mention that I really like the low angle that you used to emphasize the interesting foreground and its leading lines. Well done!

Real Name
    Roger

Thank you Mike your comment is appreciated!

Real Name
    Steve

I just like the clouds so much so 5 x 7 and the horizon on the golden ratio from the top.

Crop Help

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Steve,

I have never heard it called the golden ratio; I had to look that up. Thanks for the new information!

I like your post-processing except for the strong halo along the top of the ridge that you introduced to the image.

Real Name
    Steve

My eyesight is not that good Mike, but I like the clouds and I pushed the contrast.

Real Name
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I just like the clouds so much so 5 x 7 and the horizon on the golden ratio from the top.

Crop Help
    Steve thanks for the comment and post I love what you have done with the image if you can find the time please post or PM me with the adjustments, I love what you did especially the rocks at the bottom of the image.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Roger, it was a quick job to see what it would look like using a plugin to PSE10 called Topaz Detail3. You can selectively sharpen highlights, shadows, where large detail was boosted in the shadows and small in the highlights, but you can also adjust colour or colour casts in three channels, as well as white point, black point, the yellows were boosted to darken the blues and cyan was boosted which darkened the reds. The white point and contrast were both increased.

Sorry I couldn't be much help but if you can selectively choose channels and sharpen selectively I suppose 30px at 120% with a high threshold will be the sort of local contrast to use in the shadows. But I couldn't manage it using PSE.

Real Name
    Roger

Steve, thanks for the reply and yes I'm using PSE 10 and don't have that great of photoshop skills yet (i need to take a class) but thanks for the explanation I'll see what I can accomplish.

what a nice angle ,and the same to the pic. I;ll try to crop it with my image editor. Btw ,Im not good at PS..Im trying to learn something from the forum .
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 6th June 2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: remove irrelevant url