Real Name
    Shane

Experimenting with Close Up Filters

My first 'macro' flower image created with close up filters:

Experimenting with Close Up Filters

What I learned today in my first attempt to use close up filters:
    1. Wind is not your friend when shooting macro,
    2. Focusing needs to be very precise,
    3. It's hard to position the camera correctly to get the focus point that you would like (even, or especially, with a tripod),
    4. I need to spend more time with a subject and really 'want' the shot in order for it to be successful,
    5. I now 'get' what focus stacking is all about although I don't think that I am up for trying it quite yet after today's frustrations...

While I am pretty pleased with this shot, I know that there is a ton to learn in this area of photography (based on the fact that this image was the only redeemable one of the day), I am interested to get some C&C on this shot and learn how can I improve it and/or my approach for the future.

Hit me with the harsh truth...

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Experimenting with Close Up Filters

Shane, I like this shot. I'm not sure what I'm looking at so it's more of an abstract type shot for me. I think this subject works well since the purple part in focus is set off from the yellow parts not just by your DOF but by color. I'm not sure I'd have liked the same if the subject was all one color. (hope that made sense)

So what magnification filter did you use on what lens?

Real Name
    Shane

Terri,

The shot specs are f8 1/250 ISO 100 at 200mm with a +2 close up filter (may have been the +4 though as I switched at some point and didn't make a note of it ) In the real world the subject of this image measures less than a half inch across.

I appreciate your kind comment and hadn't really thought of it as an abstract - probably because I know what it is...

One of the things that I like about this shot is that that background is composed of the ridges of the flower petals but in the bokeh it forms sort of a star burst around the main focal point.

Real Name
    Bill

I like it, what brand of filter is it?

Real Name
    Shane

Bill;

The filters are Quantaray that a friend passed along to me when he got his 'real' macro lens. I don't think that they are very expensive. The set came with +1, +2 & +4.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    Terri,
    One of the things that I like about this shot is that that background is composed of the ridges of the flower petals but in the bokeh it forms sort of a star burst around the main focal point.
    I started to ask you how you got that effect. I really like it too.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Dear Shane,

You have done a nice job despite the frustration you voice.

Did you know that you may need to increase your f-stop to the double digits and increase ISO as well in order to raise the shutter speed to a usable level in order to create an acceptable DoF? I don't know how to explain it well.

You will have fun experimenting with all of the filters - if you have the same type kit. I have a 1X, 2X, 4X and 10X in one 58mm kit made by Neewer. I also have my 550D closeup lens in a 77mm size.

Marie

Real Name
    Shane

Thank you for that tip Marie...I get what you are saying and when I moved out of the sunlight I did raise the ISO. Will try to increase the f-stop next time I'm out.