Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Tonights moon

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Tonights moon

    Haven't had too much time to shoot, so i've been shooting the moon. One of these might look good resized and layered into a landscape. Any comments welcome.

    Tonights moon

  2. #2
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Tonights moon

    Yes; why f13? I'm surprised since f8 would be possible hand held if it were not 600mm, is that exif data right with 100 iso and 1/10? I've never photographed the moon, but done a lot of shots by moonlight. It is a nice clear picture.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Tonights moon

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Yes; why f13? I'm surprised since f8 would be possible hand held if it were not 600mm, is that exif data right with 100 iso and 1/10? I've never photographed the moon, but done a lot of shots by moonlight. It is a nice clear picture.
    Thanks arith,
    No actually its 840mm and f/13 because i had both TC's on and loose 3 stops. The rest of the exif is correct. I could use f/11 , but i stopped down one extra. I'll have to try that tomorrow night and see if its any better.

    I loose my auto focus too, and have to use live view and zoom in to focus.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Tonights moon

    Tried to edit some more detail
    Tonights moon

  5. #5
    Jim B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,219
    Real Name
    Jim

    Re: Tonights moon

    Hi Steve,

    Nice shot.I like the edit too.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Tonights moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Hi Steve,

    Nice shot.I like the edit too.
    Thanks jim, don't have time to shoot so i'm just playing.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Tonights moon

    Here is tonights moon......................changes quick. A little iso and f/11 seems to have helped my resolution.

    Tonights moon

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Coventry, UK
    Posts
    304

    Re: Tonights moon

    Hi Steve, nice shots, very detailed.
    Are you taking these in RAW?

    The reason I ask, I do like to take shots of the Moon using my Sigma 150-500mm lens.
    Some come out really well and with a bit of PP I am quite happy with the results.
    I take mine in JPEG because for some reason I never get good results in NEF RAW.

    I am not sure why this is, but I am guessing that my Photo Software Corel PSP may not be totally suitable for processing images taken in RAW from my Nikon D90.

    I have yet to try my Sigma lens on my Nikon D40 which I know the software can handle the RAW images from that camera, unfortunately clear skies are a somewhat rare at the moment.
    On my D90 the RAW images come out very noisy, or there are some unsightly artifacs in the dark sky surrounding the Moon which the software refuses to remove.

    My usual settings are, F8 and usually the fastest shutter speed to under expose that I can get away with , ISO 200 with spot metering and Nikons shutter delay mode for locking the mirror up for a second before the shutter releases.

    Keith
    Last edited by Keith; 6th December 2009 at 12:46 PM.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Tonights moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Hi Steve, nice shots, very detailed.
    Are you taking these in RAW?

    The reason I ask, I do like to take shots of the Moon using my Sigma 150-500mm lens.
    Some come out really well and with a bit of PP I am quite happy with the results.
    I take mine in JPEG because for some reason I never get good results in NEF RAW.

    I am not sure why this is, but I am guessing that my Photo Software Corel PSP may not be totally suitable for processing images taken in RAW from my Nikon D90.

    I have yet to try my Sigma lens on my Nikon D40 which I know the software can handle the RAW images from that camera, unfortunately clear skies are a somewhat rare at the moment.
    On my D90 the RAW images come out very noisy, or there are some unsightly artifacs in the dark sky surrounding the Moon which the software refuses to remove.

    My usual settings are, F8 and usually the fastest shutter speed to under expose that I can get away with , ISO 200 with spot metering and Nikons shutter delay mode for locking the mirror up for a second before the shutter releases.

    Keith
    Hi keith, i'm using a canon 40D body with canon 300f/4L lens and 1.4XTC + 2XTC = 840mm. I shoot in raw--spot meter off bright area of moon--expose -2/3 ev---Manual focus(loose auto with both converters--I manual focus with live view and 10x zoom function)---mirror locked--- 10 second timer.

    My settings are f/11---around 1/60s or 1/80s depending on how bright the moon is---iso 320(just found that boosting the iso has helped. I was using iso 100 and 1/10s and didn't realize how fast the moon is moving. 1/60s gave me a sharper image.)

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Coventry, UK
    Posts
    304

    Re: Tonights moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Hi keith, i'm using a canon 40D body with canon 300f/4L lens and 1.4XTC + 2XTC = 840mm. I shoot in raw--spot meter off bright area of moon--expose -2/3 ev---Manual focus(loose auto with both converters--I manual focus with live view and 10x zoom function)---mirror locked--- 10 second timer.

    My settings are f/11---around 1/60s or 1/80s depending on how bright the moon is---iso 320(just found that boosting the iso has helped. I was using iso 100 and 1/10s and didn't realize how fast the moon is moving. 1/60s gave me a sharper image.)
    Thanks Steve, I will try those settings.....if we ever get a clear sky.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Tonights moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Thanks Steve, I will try those settings.....if we ever get a clear sky.
    I only shoot at f/11 because i have to............you would prob. be better off at f/5.6 or f/8 to get the best image. Which ever your lens preforms best at.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •