Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wall of Buddha

Real Name
    Shane

Wall of Buddha

How many Buddha's does it take to make your prayer's come to fruition?

On a hillside in a local Buddhist temple there are literally hundreds of these small statues.

Two attempts to capture the peaceful nature of the scene and the repetition of the statues:

Wall of Buddha

Wall of Buddha

Both shot at f8 ISO 100 EV-1 (1/160 & 1/200 respectively) with my 50mm prime in bright sunny conditions.

As always, C&C appreciated.

Do you have a preferred shot? Which one and why?

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Re: Wall of Buddha

Hello, Shane! Both are nice images. I prefer the second, because of the perspective line formed by the statues. It gives a sense of "infinite" statues. I also prefer the DoF on #2, focusing on only 2 statues, putting the others in the Bokeh.

Cheers!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The second one is quite nice for the reasons Otavio mentioned, though I think I would like it even more if the light had been more diffuse.

The strong patterns of bright light and shadows in the first one create distracting chaos. Perhaps a relatively smaller depth of field such as you used in the second one would have helped, but I'm not sure.

Real Name
    Noel

hi Shane,
    Which did you prefer? I like perspective lines as well, but in this instance I actually like the first one best - because it drags my eye along most of the middle row (looking for any differences), compared to the second shot where I stop on the two prominent figures. In the first shot, centre row number 4 has hands clasped in prayer fashion (spotto!), while most of the others are holding something. In the second shot, they alternate between holding and praying. Do you know what they are holding?
    - Noel

Real Name
    Terri

Shane, I'm thinking this is a difficult shot to plan. I prefer the second image although it's somewhat difficult for me to say why. The main thing, I think, is that the first shot with everything in focus makes me see bodies without heads and vice versa and I keep trying to figure out how to change the perspective to minimize that. with the second shot, the narrow DOF, doesn't make that jump out. I agree too that it gives a feeling of infinity so it better accomplishes your second goal. As far as peacefulness, I think that is there but would be enhanced with more diffused light.

Great job!

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I have been mulling over the high contrast in these images versus a version with diffused light showing the details better. On reflection (no pun intended; however if the double pun works then I will take full credit) I think this works as a good image. In both instances. I do prefer the second but only slightly

Real Name
    Shane

Here is one more that offers a very different perspective that I would like to get your thoughts on - I think that the contrasty light may actually work for this image. When I first saw it in camera elicited two thoughts "big brother" and "Stepford wives"...

Wall of Buddha

Thank you all for your thoughts on the first two images.

If pressed I would have to say I prefer the second image as well. I think that I would have liked the first better if the most prominent Buddha was higher in the frame but I didn't give myself enough room for that crop.

I had a heck of a time during the PP on these and fought to create the vest balance that I could between dark shadows and blown highlights. Any suggestions on how to best handle this in the future?

The good thing is that these little guys aren't going anywhere and I can go back to shoot again under better conditions (more diffuse lighting) and with a little more forethought.

Noel, here is a blurb from some previous research that I did on Buddha statues:

The orb gently cradled by this Buddha is said to stand for wealth and prosperity, his half-closed eyes show a state of meditation (looking both outward and inward), the dot on his forehead represents the third eye to see unity and foster wisdom and the white, slender fingers symbolize mindfulness, precision and purity in every act.

Real Name
    Christina

very nice. I like #2 the best, something about the leading lines, and especially how they fade out as they lines draw you in.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The high contrast in the third image rocks! It enhances this particular photo because the strong patterns are easily and quickly identified, leaving the bright and mid-tone areas to the subjects. The high contrast also works because of the excellent choice to use it to emphasize the diagonals. Very well done!

Real Name
    Greg

The third one is the goods, Shane. The diagonal shadows almost look like links in a chain tieing the figures together. I think it would be worthwhile to return the location and review this particular perspective at different times of the day to see how the shadows vary.

Real Name
    Shane

Thank you Christina, Mike & Greg! Do you think that a slight vignette along either side emphasizing the central triangle would improve the image? I was very disappointed that I couldn't get a crop that was a perfect triangle but the statues are not aligned precisely and I had to chop the head of the fellow on the top right to exclude portions of other statues.

BTW, you should have seen the steep and very narrow 'stairs' (if you could call them that...) that I had to navigate to simply take a look from this vantage point! I was so nervous coming down that I navigated them one at a time on my bottom just like a little kid The things we photographers do to get an image...

Real Name
    Bobo

I like the 3rd shot best.

Yes lots of Buddha are needed since there just are'nt enough of them. There is one temple in HK with 10,000 of them.