Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Manhattan Beach in perspective

Manhattan Beach in perspective

I like how the B&W enhances the deep perspective of the vertical composition. What do you think?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Manhattan Beach in perspective

eNo

Beautiful.

I notice that you have cropped at the top (from having looked at the colour version on your Flickr pages). I find so much white fluffy cloud drawing my eye to the top. I wondered if the B&W at the same aspect ratio (given that there is less fluffy cloud in the area you've cropped) would have provided a better balance. What do you think?

ps - Love the whole of your 'In B&W' set.
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd December 2009 at 02:21 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Beautiful shot eNo!! And great job on the B&W conversion. I like all the texture differences between the dry sand and the rough water. They escentually make virtical lines that draw you in to the background, but the curves slow you down along the way.

Great job, like it alot.

Cool shot - I like the B&W conversion. I agree with Donald that a little more headroom above the clouds would add more to the compisition - I'd even add so much as to get the horizon on a 1/3rd line if possible. The water in the lower left of the image looks like it might be a tad oversharpened.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    eNo
    I notice that you have cropped at the top (from having looked at the colour version on your Flickr pages). I find so much white fluffy cloud drawing my eye to the top. I wondered if the B&W at the same aspect ratio (given that there is less fluffy cloud in the area you've cropped) would have provided a better balance. What do you think?
    I'll have to re-evaluate that. I re-worked both the B&W & color versions of this image recently, and my intention (going back to how I framed the shot originally) was to emphasize depth in the foreground through vertical composition, and have the distant background as a nice destination, but not as the core or point of the image. For kicks, here's the re-worked color version, this time with an Ektachrome P curve treatment.

Manhattan Beach in perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    - Love the whole of your 'In B&W' set.
    Thanks. I've really learned a lot the past month about B&W conversions, especially after reading Michael Freeman's book on digital B&W photography. The 3 most important tools so far: Channel mixer, curves for local contrast and layering multiplication with opacity ~20-50%. Every image is different, so each requires a different sprinkling of these tools, but overall, I think I have a pretty sound process for B&W. The other -- harder -- part is learning to spot images that would "transcend" in B&W. I'm still on the early part of that road.

Thanks for your comments, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    Cool shot - I like the B&W conversion. I agree with Donald that a little more headroom above the clouds would add more to the compisition - I'd even add so much as to get the horizon on a 1/3rd line if possible. The water in the lower left of the image looks like it might be a tad oversharpened.
    Thanks. See my response to Donald re: composition, which may not be by-the-book, but I was pushing for something else here... As for sharpness, I'll have to double-check. I'm pretty sure I was pretty careful in the full size version, as with a Sigma 30mm at f/11, this was already plenty sharp. But my resizing for Web display (and Flickr's resizing on top of it) may have pushed the edge.