Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cormorants

Real Name
    Mark

Cormorants

Foggy day. These are viewed as a pesky invasive on Lake Champlain - consuming too much fish and de-vegetating their rookeries. Here, I find a lot of personality. I need help with this shot - it's pretty well cropped to death. (Nikkor 70-200f4, 1/640@f4, ISO 320)

I'll work on these unloved characters some more...

Cormorants

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Cormorants

Cool. Great pose.

Minor niggle - the rocks are a bit on the bright side. Perhaps tone that down slightly to bring out the textures.

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks very much Bobo. Great point. That quano had actually blown my whites, which I trimmed, then used GND & brush, and it is now more balanced. Very helpful.

Real Name
    Dan

Interesting shot you have here. Great natural "expressions" on the birds. My only suggestions are to do a little noise reduction on the BG and possibly leave the crop a bit looser if it helps tell the story. Were the rocks interesting below the birds? Tough conditions for shooting in that fog.

Real Name
    Mark

Agree - not very nice noise. I have to pretend its intentional grain, but is not, nor is it called for. Much owed to harsh crop. Maybe less will help but I don't want to lose the expressions shown.

I think I've done all I can with the noise in LR (max'd masking on sharpening) and K haven't figured out how to get much help from "noise reduction - luminance/detail/contrast - color/detail).

Main lesson - get closer, or get a bigger lens, I guess.