Thread: Blown II

Real Name
    Terry

Blown II

A grouping requested by the Glass Makers.

I am loving being around this kind of artwork.

And I live in perpetual fear I am going to break one!

Hopefully I’ll at least get a shot off before I shatter something!

Comments are always welcome. Especially if you see something I missed!

Blown II

Real Name
    Ken Francis

Re: Blown II

I'm wondering if there is any way of bringing out the luminescent quality of the glass better. Do you see the way the threads of color pass through? You've caught it well here and it shows up nicely, but if lit from behind as well would they glow? would that ruin the shot? perhaps you tried and didn't like the result; perhaps I'll shut up and go away now

Ps where do I get some of these?
    Last edited by KennyF; 19th May 2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add query

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Now that I've seen some of these images using the grey background that the glass blowers instructed you to use, I understand why they chose it.

I really like the way the dark vignette at the top complements the black handles. I also like the lighting that produces the glare on the edges but I would also like to see the photo without that.

What is the reason you decided to blur the tabletop? I'm guessing that was done perhaps using a Lens Baby but probably during post-processing.

Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of each of these three pieces?

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    I'm wondering if there is any way of bringing out the luminescent quality of the glass better. Do you see the way the threads of color pass through? You've caught it well here and it shows up nicely, but if lit from behind as well would they glow? would that ruin the shot? perhaps you tried and didn't like the result; perhaps I'll shut up and go away now

Ps where do I get some of these?
    Hi Kenny (I apologize if that is not your given name!),

No need to shut up and go away! You bring up a good point.

What I’m running into is that the translucent quality/color of these pieces may change depending on how they are lit.

For example, what looks black when you are holding it in your hand in ambient light is actually a supersaturated purple. Or perhaps dark green. So when you light through them directly this supersaturated color comes out and the piece will actually change color in a photo. Sometimes to the point of being completely unrecognizable.

So for the purposes of these photos I need to accurately capture the art such as it would look to you if you were holding it in your hand in ambient light.

Kenny, these pieces were created by Springfield Hot Glass Studio in Springfield, Missouri, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Now that I've seen some of these images using the grey background that the glass blowers instructed you to use, I understand why they chose it.

I really like the way the dark vignette at the top complements the black handles. I also like the lighting that produces the glare on the edges but I would also like to see the photo without that.

What is the reason you decided to blur the tabletop? I'm guessing that was done perhaps using a Lens Baby but probably during post-processing.

Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of each of these three pieces?
    Hi Mike!

As to the blur I wanted a little softer, smoother tabletop for shadow transitions though they are pretty soft to begin with. It was done in post.

I am struggling with whether or not I like the highlights or not, Mike. On the one hand I think they accentuate the shape of the pieces. I have been lighting with attention to where they fall and on the assumption that if I keep them controlled they would be easy to remove in post. I have actually been tweaking them in post to get what I hope is a relatively clean look to them.

On the other hand I, like you, wonder if I would like them better without. Can’t seem to make up my mind yet!

By the way? I am shooting on gray seamless and lighting the background separately to control the gradient. That is making it pretty nice to go from white to black and everything in between just by how I decide to light it. The vignette on the BG was done with a 30* gridded light.

I know it sounds strange Mike, but I’m not really sure of the value. There is no paperwork on these between the Client and myself. He said he knew they would come back to him and it was done on a handshake.

I think the large piece goes for somewhere between $200-300 and the others are down priced from there according to size.

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    As to the blur I wanted a little softer, smoother tabletop for shadow transitions though they are pretty soft to begin with.
    Consider applying the blur only to the edges of the shadows or applying no blur. I'm steeped in photography, so it's bothersome to me to see that the tabletop immediately underneath the sharp subjects is out of focus. Every time I see the image, that incongruity is the first thing that I see despite that I'm trying to get used to it. If that's not bothersome to people not familiar with traditional use of optics, it's probably fine to leave the image as is.

a 30* gridded light
    Please point me to an example. I have no idea what you are referring to and it might make a nice addition to my makeshift studio.

Real Name
    Terry

Okay Mike, I’ll consider your advice and thank you for giving it. I actually blurred the BG the same degree on this shot and it wasn’t even mentioned!

I showed this photo to 4 “civilians”. I asked them to take their time and look at the photo for as long as they wanted.

Afterwards when they did not have the photo in front of them I asked a set of simple questions.
    Did you notice the “ledge” was skewed?
    What did you notice about the shadows?
    Did you like the composition (arrangement)?

Just a couple of things like that!

Not one of them even noticed anything I mentioned. They couldn’t answer the questions with the exception of that they liked the composition. I asked them what they did see and they all answered that the only thing they saw was the glass! Very interesting I thought!

Mike I do all my lighting with Speedlites.

I am using the Honl 1/8” & 1/4” grids for them. I apologize for saying it was 30*. They sell them according to size of the honeycomb holes. I have both of them.

Here is the ¼” at B&H!

Ahhhhhh, it was the term, "gridded," that threw me. It is indeed a legitimate word that got by me.

The difference in my mind between the effect of the blurring in the two photos is that the tabletop in one photo has only one horizontal surface, which helps ensure a gradual transition between the tabletop and the background. The other photo has two horizontal surfaces and the vertical surface that joins them. It's that vertical surface that is blurred where it meets the horizontal surfaces that seems out of whack to me. That's because I know it should be in focus considering that the subjects in front and behind it are in focus.

I wonder if it would be possible to learn from your glass blower what the background and expectations are of the jurors (or is jurists?).

Real Name
    Terry

I wish!

I have tried at length to try and extract as much information as I could about what the requirements are.

The only thing that has been said is that they want a graduated BG. Nothing on how it needs to be graduated. I have received some sketchy output format/size info.

So I took matters into my own hands and have been diving into some research. I have reviewed some prospectuses and found some tips and suggestions on my own. About the only thing I have found regarding BG is that full black and colored BGs are not ideal. I have found that the sizing and file format may differ from show to show.

I have asked to see the files that they are presently using for submission. So far they have not been forthcoming though they said they would send them along.

I shot a couple of examples for the first piece. A reflective base as an example. All I know is that they prefer a non-reflective base with some shadowing (rather than floating).

Real Name
    Ken Francis

[

Kenny, these pieces were created by Springfield Hot Glass Studio in Springfield, Missouri, USA.

I think the large piece goes for somewhere between $200-300 and the others are down priced from there according to size.[/QUOTE]

OOh a wee bit pricey for me but exquisite work, Beauty isn't cheap and these are beautiful, I'll keep wishing.
    And yes: My given name is Kenny

Real Name
    Terry

Kenny I need to apologize to you! I lied!

I asked and found that these three are priced at $150 USD as the set. Purchased as a set that would be $25 off the individual price.

I know the large piece is priced an an individual piece @ $85 USD. The others less but I'm not sure of the breakdown on them.

If you are interested I would be happy make any further inquiries for you.

If you don't respond to this thread I'll assume you didn't see it and I'll private message you and tell you I lied!

I told them someone from Ireland was inquiring and they were ecstatic! I think they were ready to pack them up and hand deliver them personally!